Roadmaster Granite Peak forks

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Roadmaster Granite Peak forks

Postby danielz_56037 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Recently I bought a Granite Peak (Walmart had a big sale for Christmas. I couldn't resist so I bought 2.) I know people complain about the front fork. I know that it's not as easy to find the threaded fork that a Granite Peak requires. What I want to know is this: can I some how make the existing fork rigid (drill it and put in a bolt; fill it with something that would solidify like concrete; maybe weld it top and bottom so the shock can't move)?
danielz_56037

Re: Roadmaster Granite Peak forks

Postby orvil » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:15 pm

You can buy a rigid fork from a number of online retailers for about $30 or less. Less effort and much less weight.
orvil

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:18 am

orvil wrote:You can buy a rigid fork from a number of online retailers for about $30 or less. Less effort and much less weight.

lol.. If you're not into replacing parts, you could possibly replace the springs with a piece of electrical conduit. I have no idea what size or length you would need, but I'd be a bit reluctant to spend much on a Granite Peak. A compact pipe cutter and a section of EMT would be about $10... Or, you could just let them seize over time. Rust and dirt have a tendency to lock those forks up after a while, especially if you ride them in wet weather.

Otherwise, you could pop the top caps off, and chink them full of mortar mix, but that would add a few pounds to the front end. Spray foam might do the trick, but spray foam and Portland cement would both hold moisture and the cement could be actively corrosive, especially if there are different metals used to build those forks. Galvanic action accelerates corrosion.

Let us know if you try this, and how it turns out
Tomcat65

Postby jimmie65 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 am

The concrete idea would add weight to an already overweight component. The screw or welding might work, but why? You'd have a rigid fork that weighs twice as much as any other rigid fork.
Just look online for a rigid fork or pick one up at a swapmeet or on CL.
Current bbb bikes - Mongoose Beast, Iron Horse Yakuza 5.1, and an unknown fat BMX.
jimmie65

Postby dumbname » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 pm

RJ the bike guy has a video where someone replaced the elastomers with wooden dowels would be lighter than the cement
dumbname

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes