2013 SE Royale 16

Road bikes sold by bygbox stores.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: 2013 SE Royale 16

Postby Falcon900EX » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Just a quick update. Got 105 shifters, cassette, chain, derailleur on CL.. Filed down the pawls on my 10 speed wheels to fit an 11 speed cassette! Took about 2 hrs total of filing to remove 1.8mm from each pawl.

Falcon900EX

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:22 pm

LOL!
Awesome!
All of that And a bag-o-chips! :D
105 is good stuff, Lots of good reviews, Just a lil heavy compared to Ultegra, but not enough to matter on an aluminum frame bike.
Great deal
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:23 pm

I used to have to grind down the end of each spline on the freehub body to allow an 11t cog to fit on the earlier hubs.
I'm curious where you removed the metal from exactly, and if the derailer might now threaten to touch the spokes during hard climbing as the wheel flexes.

I agree that the 105 parts are totally race-quality.

And for what it's worth, the 11s mtb cassettes fit right onto older 10s wheels, since no extra hub width is needed to keep the derailer from hitting the spokes (since the spokes angle inward as they and the derailer move further away from the hub).
And even the latest 11s, 11-34t Ultegra road cassette (model 8000) will fit right onto 10s wheels for the same reason, so all the old 8-9-10sp wheels are "new" again, making an 11s upgrade cheaper and easier when this largest 11-34t cassette is used.

I've noticed that the better grade derailers present beveled cage edges where spoke contact might occur, but that the cheapest ones leave the edge of a flat inner cage plate exposed as a snag point.
On my Huffy TR-745 with the wide Mongoose Hondo wheels, I had to upgrade the rear derailer since the spokes run straight up to near the edges of the super-wide rims, and so spoke contact resulted often enough that I could frequently hear it. Quite a few Terrex owners with these same wheels have reported their derailer suddenly getting torn off while climbing hills in low gear, which can damage a lot more than the derailer.
dddd

Previous

Return to Big Box Road Bikes