Green/Black Genesis RoadTech Bike, Good Deal?

Road bikes sold by bygbox stores.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Green/Black Genesis RoadTech Bike, Good Deal?

Postby Camerlotto » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks EasyRider. @Ridin_Dirty, My friend recently purchased the bike so I decided to re weigh it while in it's "stock form" it weighed in at about 27 lbs which makes more sense. I think the first time I weighed it the scale was off. I ended up selling mine and now have a Trek FX 7.2 but all in all it's a pretty solid bike for the price. As I said before my friend just purchased one and I've already upgraded the crank and shifters for him. He loves it. In the mean time I will probably post my FX conversion in the gravel Bike/cyclocross thread. I converted it from a hybrid to more of a gravel grinder/ all purpose bike. I know it's not a BBB but what the heck!
Last edited by Camerlotto on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.
Camerlotto

Postby jml79 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:25 am

I bought one of these while working away from home to have a bike to ride. The bottom bracket is awful. But a shimano square taper BB is about $10 and makes a word of difference. I upgraded the crank, BB, replaced the front brake with a Tektro dual pivot and replaced the rear brake pads and pedals. Now it's an OK and rideable, safe bike. As a minimum I would invest in a bottom bracket and brake pads and either pay someone to setup the brakes and true the rims or do it yourself. Over all more than I expected for $129. I spent less than another $100 to make it perfectly usable.

Like many cheap 7 speed bikes it uses a freewheel instead of a free hub and cassette so there is no easy upgrade to a stronger and better rear end/drivetrain/more speeds. The BB is a standard 68mm but to fit a sealed BB you will have to remove the screw on the bottom of the BB holding on the plastic cable guide and add a washer. Now with a cheap Shimano Claris crank and a 68x121 mm Octalink BB it's a new bike. No more knocking and clunking from the nasty BB that came stock with awful caged bearings.
jml79

Postby Countingchips » Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Sorry about the ressurection!

I just weighed mine and it came back as about 32lbs (note it's not the most accurate scale it usually seems to over a little), with my bike lights on but doubt they weigh anything really (half a pound at most?). So the second weighing does sound more accurate. :)

Nice build Camerlotto. Out of curiosity what is left of the original bike? The frame, gears and chain?
Countingchips

Postby dddd » Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 am

They say this is the same bike as the Genesis RoadTech, the one Walmart lists as having 35.20lbs "assembled product weight".

EDIT: I take that back, the Genesis has an alloy frame and listed as 34.00lbs assembled product weight.

That's a lot of weight loss getting down to the 20's! I once took a 38lb Schwinn Varsity and got it down to 32lbs using serious road bike parts, but still with the kickstand on and with the steel crankset and solid steel fork still on it.
Most of the weight loss was from the wheels and tires. 700x25 tires, Mavic alloy double-wall rims and 7s cassette/hub replaced a heavy freewheel, gumwall tires and steel rims that were suitable for a light motorcycle.
dddd

Postby mtbcrazy » Fri May 12, 2017 8:16 am

What is the seat tube length ?
What is the top tube length?
mtbcrazy

Postby NightSG » Tue May 16, 2017 1:43 pm

jml79 wrote:Like many cheap 7 speed bikes it uses a freewheel instead of a free hub and cassette so there is no easy upgrade to a stronger and better rear end/drivetrain/more speeds.

Sure there is;
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories ... -36h-black

$45 for the wheel, plus maybe $20 for an 8 speed cassette. Been commuting on one of these on my Trek for about a year now, though I stuck with a 7-speed cassette and spacer to keep it easily swappable with the original wheel in case I got the urge to buy some snow tires. Never did that, so I'll probably be putting an 8 speed on when I swap out the worn crankset this summer.
NightSG

Postby NightSG » Wed May 17, 2017 1:24 pm

jml79 wrote:I bought one of these while working away from home to have a bike to ride. The bottom bracket is awful.

Did you happen to try ditching the cages (usually need to add another ball on each side to make up for the spacing) and repacking it with loose balls and heavy grease? Had a couple of older bikes that worked great after that treatment.

Also, did you order it boxed, or buy one already assembled on display? Given the WM tendency toward very little if any grease and "adjustment" by a toy department employee, I could see even test rides of a display model killing a BB pretty quickly.

Sort of want to get one of these and lace up the front hub motor I have laying around, (don't have anything with a steel fork at the moment, and I prefer a road style with a fairly low low gear for the commute...especially if I end up having to pedal the whole 8 miles of hills due to a dead battery or whatever) but since I'd likely be swapping out the rear wheel to get a freehub and I already have a spare 700C rim I could lace up for the front, I'm hoping one will turn up at a yard sale cheap or in the trash free after someone used to MTB or BMX riding damages the wheels.
NightSG

Postby mtbcrazy » Fri May 19, 2017 9:32 am

Can someone measure the top tube length (center-to-center), please?
mtbcrazy

Previous

Return to Big Box Road Bikes