New rider on Genesis Terra 700c

These are bikes that work well on the road for recreational riding or trips to the store and also work for paved or well groomed bike trails, rails-to-trails and around the block.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

New rider on Genesis Terra 700c

Postby grindel » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:37 pm

I have no specific goals for this bike other than to have a enough bikes for the whole family to all ride together. We'll see if there is the possibility for this to become something more.

So yesterday I pulled the trigger on a Genesis Terra, unfortunately I couldn't find a store that had one assembled. I had driven a bit out of the way to get a store that had one in stock. I asked the employee that offered to put it together if there were any pointers. He didn't have much to say, although I gathered that he was a bit on the unskilled side of the spectrum. It was not hard to put together and within a couple of hours I had a functional bike. One issue that was immediately obvious was that it is probably too tall for me. I knew it would be a distinct possibility, and had decided to pull the trigger since returns are so easy. This still might actually be a deal breaker for me, I'll try to ride as much as possible in the short term to figure out if it really is a big enough problem to return it. For others reference I have a 29-30" inseam and I don't have the 1" clearance from the top tube while flat footed. Riding it, though, seems comfortable enough. Minor annoyances other than the height: the shimano shifter has a funky gear indicator thing hanging off the handle bars...in addition to the indicator at the shifter. It is ridiculous, and if I decide keep the bike, it is coming off. Some issues for which I could use some advice: On every bike I've ever owned, I could spin the pedals on the crank and there was no resistance. With this bike, I could maybe spin it half a revolution if I whacked it. I have not tried it since riding it around a bit, so, maybe it is ok. There seems to be no adjustment. The headset seems tight too...again, I'll have to see if the situation has changed since I've been riding it. If the problem persists, I will adjust per http://www.ehow.com/how_14178_adjust-bikes-headset.html. When I had the bike upside down, I watched the rear gears and the seemed off center, but I have not confirmed, It would surprise me if it is possible. It might be an optical illusion from the warped clear plastic disk that sits between the rear gears and the wheel (clipped to the spokes, I assume this is to keep the chain from falling between the gear and the wheel if the derailleur is poorly adjusted.) I'll ride around and take another look tomorrow. These are my inexperienced first impressions, sorry to be so long winded.
grindel

Re: New rider on Genesis Terra 700c

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 am

grindel wrote: One issue that was immediately obvious was that it is probably too tall for me. I knew it would be a distinct possibility, and had decided to pull the trigger since returns are so easy. This still might actually be a deal breaker for me, I'll try to ride as much as possible in the short term to figure out if it really is a big enough problem to return it. For others reference I have a 29-30" inseam and I don't have the 1" clearance from the top tube while flat footed. Riding it, though, seems comfortable enough.

If you decide the Terra is too big, you might want to consider this bike---> http://www.kmart.com/mongoose-xcom-700c ... 612670001P

grindel wrote:Some issues for which I could use some advice: On every bike I've ever owned, I could spin the pedals on the crank and there was no resistance. With this bike, I could maybe spin it half a revolution if I whacked it. I have not tried it since riding it around a bit, so, maybe it is ok. There seems to be no adjustment.

Apparently some of the low end pedals don't have bearings. Just metal rubbing against plastic. Maybe the Terra has this type of pedal? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much in the short term.

A few questions I have....if you don't mind. (I've been waiting to read a good review on the Terra from a forum poster, but nobody on Big Box bikes.com has purchased one until now.)

1. Can you tell us about the tires? Width and maximum pressure?

2. Does the Terra come with a shimano freewheel or some other brand of freewheel?

3. Are the front and rear hubs marked with the manufacturer?

4. Rear derailleur model?

Thank you very much.
Cockpit size listing for big box bikes--> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=626
Heirloom Tomato

Postby grindel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:34 pm

My problem with the Mongoose Xcom is probably borne of ignorance, but it is only a 7 speed. That is probably enough, but...well 21 speeds is more!! (how can you argue with that logic) Also the bars are bent back at an uncomfortable looking angle.
I can post pictures eventually if your interested, but...
1. The tire says (40-622) 700 X 38C F-507...Xcel...Inflate to 60 PSI
I could believe the tire is 38 mm wide, but haven't measured.

2. The inner gear says Shimano MF-TZ21.

3. I don't see anywhere that the hubs are stamped

4. Shimano Tourney TX SIS index is stamped on the side

I found out the pedals are freely rotating now, and I'm going to leave the headstock alone. I pulled up the boot on the front fork shock...it looks to be a fairly rough rod riding in a plastic bushing. I'll have to post a picture of it...again, I am nit picking a bit, but I'm also trying to shift myself off of top dead center on my overall opinion. I very much like how it looks though.
grindel

Postby grindel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:47 pm

It also has shimano bearings in the rear hub, if that answers the wheel hub question.

The gearset wobbles a lot less than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbBno5T430 but it is still detectable.
grindel

Postby desertguns » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Sure hope the Terra works out for you. It looks relatively light & stout, and the spec don't look bad for the price either. Not too keen on the bars but that's easily changed (and a personal preference). At least WallyWorld has a great return policy, and plenty of others to choose from :)
desertguns

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:21 pm

grindel wrote:I can post pictures eventually if your interested, but...

1. The tire says (40-622) 700 X 38C F-507...Xcel...Inflate to 60 PSI
I could believe the tire is 38 mm wide, but haven't measured.

2. The inner gear says Shimano MF-TZ21.

3. I don't see anywhere that the hubs are stamped

4. Shimano Tourney TX SIS index is stamped on the side

Thank you so much for the info!
Cockpit size listing for big box bikes--> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=626
Heirloom Tomato

Postby grindel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Update: the brakes keep squeaking like crazy and are wearing very fast. Hopefully new brake pads will fix this. I've decided to keep it, but think probably the Schwinn Avenue would have been a better bike....it would have been significantly more money though, of course.
grindel

Postby desertguns » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:29 am

Hey, grindel :) Check out Kool Stop brake pads. They're a little more money but are worth it. DON'T buy the black bell pads at Walmart. Thought I'd give 'em a shot on my wifes bike. They're too hard & started to crack after a few months.
desertguns

Postby Redcar92 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Greetings, I am a newbie here and to biking. I just bought a Genesis Terra 700c at my local WM for $124 on clearance. So far not many miles but I do enjoy this bike. The brake noise negates the need for a bell. The only cure seems to be new pads. I won't buy new pads until I need them as these noisy ones seem to stop well enough.
Thanks for listening and regards
Redcar92 (Bill)
Regards
Bill
Redcar92

Postby Redcar92 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Brakes wore out pretty fast, I replaced with Clarks brand bought at LBS for about $8 a set. They are still noisy, maybe need a bit more toe in. Also found the rear wheel seems loose. The nut that tightens the bearings was loose by about 1/2 to 1 turn. Other than that, so far so good.
Bill
Regards
Bill
Redcar92

Next

Return to Comfort and/or Combination Bikes