New rider on Genesis Terra 700c

These are bikes that work well on the road for recreational riding or trips to the store and also work for paved or well groomed bike trails, rails-to-trails and around the block.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: New rider on Genesis Terra 700c

Postby steady eddie » Sat May 19, 2012 9:22 am

Redcar--

What does the completed bike weigh??
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby Redcar92 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Greetings from Hotlanta,
My Genesis Terra 700c weighs in at 38.5 lbs that is pounds, not local bike shop.

Regards
Bill
Regards
Bill
Redcar92

Postby steady eddie » Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 am

Redcar92 wrote:Greetings from Hotlanta,
My Genesis Terra 700c weighs in at 38.5 lbs that is pounds, not local bike shop.

Regards
Bill

===
Bill--

Thank you for the info. The Mens Terra 700c is listed on the WM web site as having a shipping weight of 33 pounds.. :?: ..

The Ladies Model is also listed as having a 33 # shipping weight.. :?: ..so they got 'em both wrong.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby Redcar92 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:32 am

When I weighed mine, I removed everything I had added like tool bag, inflator, etc, but not the computer, pickups, magnets and comfort seat. The computer might weigh 4oz max and the seat maybe 1 pound more than stock.
Regards
Bill
Regards
Bill
Redcar92

Postby endo » Wed May 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Hello. First time posting, and fairly new to the bicycle world. I found this site while googling for info on my new men's Genesis Terra 700.
I'm hoping that one of you nice folks can answer a few questions for me.
As has been said, I too found the brakes to be annoyingly loud. I see that Kool Stop and Clarks had been mentioned. Exactly what type / size will fit this bike?
Also, about this Shimano CI-deck thing: it appears that it was designed to house a bicycle computer. If this is the case, which computer(s) will fit it?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
endo

Postby Redcar92 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 am

Greetings Endo, I am fairly new to this forum also, but what great info and people they have here. You are right about the CI deck thing on your handle bar. It is made to hold the Shimano SC-TX30 or SC-TX31 computer. You can google them and draw your own conclusion as to their value. The bake noise maybe reduced by loosening the nut holding the shoe to the bracket, then putting a spacer like a tie wrap between the rear end of the shoe and the bike rim, so the front end of the shoe hits the rim first. (be sure to remove tie wrap before riding) You need to do this on all 4 shoes. The stock shoes wear pretty fast so be ready to replace with some that wear better and make less noise. The type you will want are for v-brakes. You may want to check with your LBS for the first set.
Regards
Bill
Regards
Bill
Redcar92

Postby grindel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Worn out pads for me. I tool around the neighborhood with my 4 year old who likes to cut me off, so the fast wearing brakes were an issue. I put on new ones from Giant from the LBS...These are much better brakes as far as stopping power goes, but the fog horn squeal is still there. Will try toe in and report back.
grindel

Postby Redcar92 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:01 pm

New pads reduced the noise quite a bit but I could not eliminate it altogether. Toe in didn't seem to help much either. Still sequels on hard stops. Pads seem to wear awfully fast also.
Regards
Bill
Redcar92

Postby Valallison » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:12 am

I've owned my men's Genesis Terra 700 for a few years now. I'm a woman, and I'm 5'7" tall, so I do not have the inch clearance above the bar if I'm standing flat footed, but I can manage it on tippy toes. I bought the bike because it was the absolute cheapest bike I could find that met my criteria for my commuter bike when I was shopping. It had to be a hybrid with spring loaded front forks (the roads in Minnesota are pocked with potholes and cracks due to the freeze/thaw cycle of seasons, and without those shock absorbers, the jolts travel right up my arms and shoulders to my neck in a very jarring manner), had to have narrow commuter tires, a luggage rack on the back, and more than three speeds (I was sick and tired of my cruiser bike for this reason). It needed to be something I could stand to look at, and also needed to be dirt cheap, because I live in a very high crime area of Minneapolis, and there is a good likelihood the bike will get stolen from me at some point.

I LOVE this bike. In the aesthetic department, it's a perfect 10 out of 10. That satin black finish is gorgeous, and it's also part of the reason I purchased the men's model rather than the women's model (also, I wanted a men's bike so I could let my brother borrow it without being put off by riding a woman's bike). It's pretty light, so I can heft it around easily. I ride it to and from work on busy city streets everyday, and the handlebar shifters have become second nature to use for up or downshifting to keep pace with traffic on the ups and downs of the city streets. I ditched the original seat and added a big, cushy cruiser type seat because I had gotten used to my old cruiser bike and kind of missed the comfort of the seat. It's kind of like riding to work on a moving la-z-boy now.

I bought mine already assembled at Wal-Mart, so it wasn't really put together by somebody who knew what they were doing, within a couple weeks, I took it to a bike shop and had them do a tune up on it, and it's been riding and shifting just fine for years now. The shift display thingie in the middle of the handlebars is kind of silly, but I don't mind it, and it gives me something to hang my bike helmet on when I park the bike, so at least it's good for something.

The brakes are really noisy, and it makes me wonder if the wheels aren't totally trued due to how lopsided the squeak is against the rim. I've adjusted them a few times and replaced the pads, too (I only recently bought some expensive noise-refusing pads online but I haven't installed them yet) and within a day or two of riding, they're right back to squealing and wailing. The good news about that is the noise is actually handy for commuting in the city, particularly downtown. Some pedestrian starts to step into my path as I'm biking down the road -I just give a squeeze to the front brake and they practically jump out of their skin getting out of my way when they hear the banshee wail of those brakes. It's kind of embarrassing sometimes, but actually more useful than a bike bell. It works pretty well with cab drivers who try to cut in on the bike lane... If they have their windows down... If they don't, I'm forced to resort to yelling and some rude hand gestures to let them know what I think of their driving.

So far, my bike hasn't been stolen, but that's mostly because I also bought a motorcycle and built a shed to store it in that I keep locked behind my privacy fence in my backyard. I put my bike in there with the motorcycle when I get home from work. At work, I can bring my bike into the building with me and after I pass through the three security doors, I just park it inside the lobby area of my workplace, so unless a coworker is feeling larcenous, it's not going to go anywhere. In view of that, I suppose I could have spent more money on a "better" bike. All of my coworkers who bike commute bought higher end stuff like Trek, Framed, Raleigh, and Specialized and spent hundreds, if not a thousand more for their bikes than I spent for mine. I park my Terra next to their fixies, sleek road bikes, and super-equipped mountain bikes, and when I look at the lot of them, I have to say, my Terra still looks pretty awesome next to all that expensive stuff. As near as I can tell, it works just as well, too (if you're willing to see the silver lining of having extremely noisy brakes). I always get a smug little feeling of satisfaction seeing how great my $150 bike looks next to their expensive rides. I've added a luggage pack with a top bag and saddle bag type cloth storage compartments onto the back rack to haul stuff around with me. I also added a front frame mount phone case, red blinker lights in back and a multi mode white light in front (my to work commute takes place after dark). I carry some basic tools and chain/gear lube and an itty bitty air pump, and I feel like my bike and I are pretty well prepared for anything.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to bike commute in the winter for the first time this year. Minnesota winters can be pretty brutal and we get lots of snow and ice, so I'm not sure if I should even do it, and then, do I buy some studded tires for my terra or do I just buy a fat wheel bike or mountain bike instead?
Valallison

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:42 am

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you're doing pretty good with your bike. Nice to hear it's holding up. Also, congrats on the motorcycle. I've been trying to get one for years, but bikes, cars, and watches keep me from getting one.

For winter, I probably wouldn't ride that bike. In my personal opinion, it's just not enough suave area to make use of the studded tires. A cheap hardtail mountain bike with some 2" studded tires would probably be good. This is to better attack light snow and any underlaying ice. For fresh powder, a fat bike would be better, but at that point, I figured you wouldn't be riding. I've only spent one winter in that area (great lakes, Illinois), and it was normally the ice after a couple days of snow that would get me. Lol.
Falkon45

Previous

Return to Comfort and/or Combination Bikes