Gravel bikes

These are bikes that work well on the road for recreational riding or trips to the store and also work for paved or well groomed bike trails, rails-to-trails and around the block.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Gravel bikes

Postby orvil » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:00 pm

Small gravel bike.JPG
Small gravel bike.JPG (498.89 KiB) Viewed 510 times
I'm a new member to this forum although I've been reading threads for awhile. I've not seen any cyclocross or gravel bikes, perhaps because I haven't looked in the correct spot, but I would like to see if anyone has built their own. I've just completed this one over the winter. It's an old 12 speed Takara I purchased new in college in '81. I've really enjoyed it on the road all these years but I've lost my nerve riding on the road due to too many local bike/car related accidents. I removed the front derailleur and large chainring, added a stem adapter and mounted a spare stem/bar/levers combo leftover from the upgrade of my Mongoose Deception. Most of the gravel bikes I see have drop bars but I prefer the mountain bike bars. I've still got 27" rims mounted with Kenda cyclocross tires and I'm using the 43t chainring and 14-28 freewheel that's been on it for 20 years now. The cro-mo frame is a great, lightweight platform and with the tires now at 45psi instead of the 110psi of the road tires it really rides well. Its a completely different experience from my mountain bike but its a blast all the same. Let me know what you think and it would be great to see more member's gravel bikes as well.
orvil

Re: Gravel bikes

Postby morando6784 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:05 am

Building mine right now
Mine is built from a 26er frame, 29er wheelset.
uploadfromtaptalk1456761859916.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456761859916.jpg (66.37 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Re: Gravel bikes

Postby orvil » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:42 am

Very nice! Looks like it'll be a fun ride. Please post more pics when it's completed.
orvil

Return to Comfort and/or Combination Bikes