Hybrid to Touring Conversion

These are bikes that work well on the road for recreational riding or trips to the store and also work for paved or well groomed bike trails, rails-to-trails and around the block.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Hybrid to Touring Conversion

Postby valleybiker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:01 pm

Hello everyone. I have a forge M street I got at target.com a while ago (the bike that got me into biking :D ). I am wanting to do some touring and was wondering if this bike would be adequate.

The bike has an aluminum frame, rigid fork, adjustable handlebar stem, lower end shimano drivetrain, and 700c aluminum wheels with SS spokes. I was thinking of getting a trekking bar, and maybe a way to add a couple of bags to it. My plans are to ride on mostly paved roads. Would the conversion be possible with this bike? If so, what are your suggestions?

http://forgebikes.com/urban-bike-mstreet.php Here is the link to the bike in case additional specs are necessary

Thank you

Mike
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Re: Hybrid to Touring Conversion

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:47 pm

You already have the bosses for racks, so I'd say go for it. It's pretty much a touring bike at the moment, anyway.
Falkon45

Postby valleybiker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:11 pm

Cool! Thank you for the quick reply. The aspects that were not really convincing me were the aluminum frame and the wheels. I was thinking maybe they were not strong enough. Thank you for verifying it is okay though.
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:57 am

Just my observation, and what I'd want before I went touring off into oblivion :)

A set of alloy flat pedals would be a great addition. Nothing like busting a pedal on a curb or a rock in the middle of nowhere.. And going clipless with a flat/mountain bike shoe, might be an advantage if you expect a lot of climbs

The Shimano TZ freewheels are as tough as any - a good quality, dependable, freehub wheelset would cost nearly as much as the bike cost new. So, maybe a couple of long rides and consider a wheelset later?

I like KMC chains. But it wouldn't hurt anything to get a few extra quick links and keep at least one spare on the bike.

Extra tubes... I personally, would never go tubeless on a touring bike. I have no idea what the conditions are for tires where you are, but I'd want at least 2 extra tubes with me if I was covering any distance, especially out in the middle of nowhere.

The aluminum frame would become a problem if you were a really heavy guy with a huge payload of supplies. Fatigue would eventually start to distort the tolerances, and possibly, the geometry of the frame. But that might take years to develop if you're reasonable with the weight you try to carry, your style of riding, and the distances you travel

So, yeah .. That bike doesn't look bad to me for touring. A good tool set/multi-tool and a pump... or have someone reliable and ready to come pick you up if it all goes wonky :P
Tomcat65

Postby valleybiker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:Just my observation, and what I'd want before I went touring off into oblivion :)

A set of alloy flat pedals would be a great addition. Nothing like busting a pedal on a curb or a rock in the middle of nowhere.. And going clipless with a flat/mountain bike shoe, might be an advantage if you expect a lot of climbs

The Shimano TZ freewheels are as tough as any - a good quality, dependable, freehub wheelset would cost nearly as much as the bike cost new. So, maybe a couple of long rides and consider a wheelset later?

I like KMC chains. But it wouldn't hurt anything to get a few extra quick links and keep at least one spare on the bike.

Extra tubes... I personally, would never go tubeless on a touring bike. I have no idea what the conditions are for tires where you are, but I'd want at least 2 extra tubes with me if I was covering any distance, especially out in the middle of nowhere.

The aluminum frame would become a problem if you were a really heavy guy with a huge payload of supplies. Fatigue would eventually start to distort the tolerances, and possibly, the geometry of the frame. But that might take years to develop if you're reasonable with the weight you try to carry, your style of riding, and the distances you travel

So, yeah .. That bike doesn't look bad to me for touring. A good tool set/multi-tool and a pump... or have someone reliable and ready to come pick you up if it all goes wonky :P

Well, I am not really touring into oblivion yet. I will eventually though :) For now, my biggest trip planned is around 50 miles away (Bentsen State Park). I will definitely try to keep my weight down though, now that you mentioned the fatigue on the frame with excess weight. Also, thanks for the recommendations as far as what to take to avoid trouble. I had not thought about the bike chain quick links :idea: Also, as you mentioned, down here, I would definitely need a couple of tubes and a pump. I have a lot of faith in slimed tubes, but on a long trip, I can't really take chances.
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby BIGDCYCLES » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:14 pm

For a trip that distance i would not hesitate. Do a good service and tune up, a couple spares, a small patch kit, a pump, maybe an extra folding tire, and a chain.
Mongoose Deception 29er, Triace AL 2.1 26", Vintage SS Conversion 27", Schwinn Criss Cross Mixte 26", Mongoose X-COM 700c (Project Xtreme Commuter)
BMX: 1998 Royce Union Vert X, 2000 Mosh Method, 2006 Redline Romp, 2007 Diamondback Joker
BIGDCYCLES

Postby singlespeed92 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:01 pm

People have successfully toured the country on bikes that they found in dumpsters,bought at yard sales for $20 and everything in between with just some refurbishing,yours is certainly more up to touring than some that have undoubtedly went far. Like mentioned above,watch the payload on the aluminum frame,take some spare chain links,tubes,and spokes,a decent mini-tool kit (or good multi-tool) and some know-how and have fun :D While I currently havea Surly Troll setup as a multi-surface tourer,I've done several mini-tours (>200 miles total trip) on bikes less suited than yours,my friend :)
2010 Origin 8 700CX (go-to bike/road/gravel)
2014 Surly Troll (jack of all trades,currently setup for rail trail touring)
2015 Mongoose Hitch (the Fatty)
singlespeed92

Postby valleybiker » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:12 am

Hadn't logged in in a while :oops: . Right now, I am in the middle of a project, but once I am done, I will definitely give it a try. I will probably need to learn to work on the chain, and to replace spokes though :D . So far I have started preparing by getting active again. I started biking everywhere I go alone during the week. Also, I raised the handlebar back up. It makes the ride much more comfortable. Thanks for your tips and verifying my bike is okay for touring. I will make sure I post as the touring approaches.
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby valleybiker » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 pm

I added fenders, lighting, and the bar to my bike. Just pending the rear rack. As far as readiness, I feel much more comfortable with biking long distances. I even got to bike in the rain twice already (Just dried it really quick when I got home). I am hoping to be ready by this summer. I'll just wait and see.

Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Return to Comfort and/or Combination Bikes