My new Schwinn Network

These are bikes that work well on the road for recreational riding or trips to the store and also work for paved or well groomed bike trails, rails-to-trails and around the block.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: My new Schwinn Network

Postby tic » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:24 pm

I agree it's easy to ride. It's no light weight though
tic

Postby Dan_J » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Time for a 70 mile update. This Schwinn continues to be amazing. The only thing I've had to do to it so far was replace the brake pads. No matter how much cleaning, adjusting, or sanding I did to the original pads the fronts wouldn't stop squealing. I'm not complaining though, it was a great opportunity to upgrade and the ones I got off of Amazon are nice and quiet. Other then the pads it has been a trouble free machine. I did replace the Bell rack with a better fitting Schwinn rack, go figure. Also, after a close call with a douche bag and a driveway, I added some mail box post reflectors and reflective tape to the crate.

Dan_J

Postby tic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:53 am

I have the same issue with the stock brake pads. Can you please tell me the exact item # of the pads you ordered from Amazon so I can replace mine w/ the same? thanks.. BTW, besides the bottom bracket coming loose on one of ours, the bikes have been flawless and are ridden almost daily
tic

Postby Dan_J » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:35 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3L ... ge_o02_s00

There's the link to the pads I bought. The ones I received looked different but for the price I tried them anyway and they've been working just fine. They stop well and they haven't squeaked since dialing them in.

Actual picture of the pads:
Dan_J

Postby tic » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:03 am

Thanks very much, I'll be ordering two sets.
tic

Postby tic » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:49 pm

I ordered the pads, received and installed them today. They are great. Smooth, quiet with excellent stopping power. I noticed my original brake pads actually had bits of metal in them which is probably why they squealed and made scraping noises all the time. I'm sure I would have worn out the rims if I'd kept using the stock brake pads. Anyone looking for replacement pads should try these as they are inexpensive and perform flawlessly. Thanks again for the link. BTW, the pads I received look different than yours. They are rounded on the top edge and fit the profile of the rim perfectly.
tic

Postby Dan_J » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 am

My stock pads were picking up metal bits also. I used a block and lightly sanded the rims when I swapped my pads. Haven't had any issues with metal in my pads since. Do you have a picture of the pads you recieved? That's interesting they sent you a completely different set of brakes from what I got and what they have pictured.
Dan_J

Postby tic » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:23 pm

I'll try and post some up.. As I said, mine have a curve that follows the contour of the rims allowing more contact area. They fit great but I did have to put the small spacer nearest to the rim instead of the large spacer the way it came assembled in the packaging. From your picture, it looks like you did the same. I cleaned my rims with denatured alcohol and a magic eraser and so far the new pads aren't picking up any metal but I had cleaned the rims numerous times before the new pads and the stock pads continued to pick up metal. I don't know what was worse, the squealing or the screeching. Both are gone now with the new pads. Thanks again
tic

Postby tic » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:40 pm

IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG (135.42 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Here's some pics of the brake pads I got..
tic

Postby tic » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:42 pm

IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG (144.93 KiB) Viewed 628 times
And here it is mounted
tic

PreviousNext

Return to Comfort and/or Combination Bikes