My new Schwinn Network

These are bikes that work well on the road for recreational riding or trips to the store and also work for paved or well groomed bike trails, rails-to-trails and around the block.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

My new Schwinn Network

Postby Dan_J » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:38 pm

My Network 3.0 came in today. I got to Walmart before they had the chance to assemble it. Upon getting it un-boxed, I disassembled it completely to inspect the bearings and to my surprise and pleasure, everything was well lubed. The wheel bearings even have water/dust seals. After assembly I threw on my comfy seat and dashboard from my Havoc, installed a Bell rack, my trusty milk crate and strapped on my emergency tool kit. After a mile worth of laps I got everything dialed. This is probably the best sight unseen purchase. I am completely impressed by this Schwinn and the quality feel it has. The wheels were even true out of the box. It's an easy bike to ride, the trigger shifters and derailleurs work so smoothly and precisely, and it's fast. My Havoc would touch 18 mph going down hill, this Schwinn will do 18 on a level road.
Attachments
Schwinn.jpg
Schwinn.jpg (389.31 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Dan_J

Re: My new Schwinn Network

Postby to the beach » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:55 pm

I had seen last year's model, I don't remember that spoke config though...really cool!
to the beach

Postby Dan_J » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:07 pm

This is a really nice bike to ride, real easy to put miles on and very comfortable. It is quite tall though, I'm use to 26"mountain bikes. I'm going to spend tomorrow running errands around the city on it.
Dan_J

Postby Renaldow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:07 am

Looks great!
Renaldow

Postby tic » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:17 am

Yep, we have two Schwinn network 3.0's and for what they are, the price/value can't be beat. I just can't see spending thousands more for slightly better performance and lower weight. The components are lower end but function perfectly well. The brakes are great and both front and rear derailleurs are work horses and never go out of adjustment, at least on ours. We take ours on 20+mile bike path rides all the time and of course around the neighborhood. Several hundred miles on each now and no issues.
tic

Postby to the beach » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 am

I would prefer to see a disc brake, at least up front if not f&r. I wouldn't ask Schwinn to change anything else really, not in this price vicinity.
to the beach

Postby Dan_J » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

It might not have a front disk but the cantilever brakes do a fine job of locking up the wheels at 15 mph. The one thing I'd change are the stock tires. Their grip while leaned over in a turn leaves much to be desired. A few times the rear washed out or the front skidded. I'll ride these until they wear out though, they're decent if you keep it relativity upright.
Dan_J

Postby to the beach » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 pm

If that's the first time you leaned into a corner on those tires, they typically get much better after slight wear.
to the beach

Postby Renaldow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Yeah, see what they do after they soften up and wear a little.
Renaldow

Postby Dan_J » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:03 pm

I road it around town today, put on about 23 miles. This bike makes riding bike so easy, if that makes any sense. It is geared perfectly for use in town. I was able to do 22 mph without any problem on some of the busier streets.
Dan_J

Next

Return to Comfort and/or Combination Bikes