Schwinn Network 3.0

These are bikes that work well on the road for recreational riding or trips to the store and also work for paved or well groomed bike trails, rails-to-trails and around the block.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Schwinn Network 3.0

Postby jamms » Wed May 13, 2015 5:31 pm

It has been a long time since I posted here so Hello everyone. I have still been reading the posts though.
I picked up a wally world Schwinn Network 3.0 last week and I am really liking this bike. I have had a Solitaire for a few years now and it is my work commuter a couple times each week. I wanted something with 38c tires for the paved trail I ride but not all the bells and whistles of the Solitaire. The Network fit the bill to a tee.
Nice bike, 7x3 gears with a 34 tooth creeper on the rear. Saddle seems comfortable enough but time will tell.
Here's a few pics: Image

Schwinn Solitaire,Mongoose Hatchet, Schwinn Empire XL, Kestrel Talon, Schwinn Network 3.0 http://www.mrjams.com/blog
Everytime that wheel turns round, Your bound to cover just a little more ground.
jamms

Re: Schwinn Network 3.0

Postby juniorswv » Fri May 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Nice looking bike...Schwinn big box bike are pretty good..enjoy
juniorswv

Postby to the beach » Fri May 15, 2015 1:22 pm

I like the Network, fenders soon?
to the beach

Postby jamms » Sat May 16, 2015 5:54 pm

The Solitaire has fenders if its raining. But I did find a nice looking set of light, white mini fenders on amazon I might pull the trigger on.
Schwinn Solitaire,Mongoose Hatchet, Schwinn Empire XL, Kestrel Talon, Schwinn Network 3.0 http://www.mrjams.com/blog
Everytime that wheel turns round, Your bound to cover just a little more ground.
jamms

Postby jamms » Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 am

New Upgrades to the Network. Just back from a few mile ride to check things out and seems pretty good. I am digging the grips, cushion soft rubber.
Stock pedals were plastic, new XLC's are great for me, I can clip in or ride it with normal shoes. Origin8 saddle is firm but not hard and lighter than the stock, plus it's white. I am waiting on a new seatpost, I truly hate the double nut indent clamp on it now, and the setback is kinda limited. Also a pivot/swivel Zefal
mirror.

jamms

Postby Dan_J » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:10 pm

I'm strongly leaning towards the Network as my next bike purchase. How is it holding up after half a month? What can you say about the quality of the fork and bottom bracket? Are there any overall quality issues or gripes?
Dan_J

Postby jamms » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:24 am

I have 3 Schwinns now, they are all good Big Box bikes, I saw the Network at my local Wal-Mart and checked it over ,then ordered it on line with free shipping to my house. I like to do my own assembly and setup. Check the hardware, snug all nuts and bolts , etc. I have over 1000 miles on the Solitaire, close to the same on the Empire XL, and about 200 miles on the Network now. they basically all use the same square taper bottom bracket and all still run smooth. The bottom bracket is the thread in type and is serviceable or cheap to replace if necessary .The forks on the Network are branded "Schwinn" and are pretty much a lower end Suntour fork. it has a decent preload for me { 185 lbs.} and functions fine. It is a Pacific Bike Co. bike and has a lifetime warranty, they offer good phone support and if there is a real problem will ship you a free replacement part. YMMV
jamms

Postby tic » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:57 am

I bought two Schwinn network 3.0's. One for me and one for my wife. I'm six feet tall and couldn't get enough rise on the bars so I bought a 3" extension and now the bike fits great. The right side of my bottom bracket came loose after 100mi. or so but a ten dollar visit to the LBS was the cure. He took it all apart, re-greased and re-assembled everything. We ride bike paths that have crushed limestone surface so we didn't want pure road bikes but a lot of our riding is on pavement too. Perfect hybrid bikes for this purpose. The LBS guy was actually impressed by these bikes and thought they were a great value. We did put different saddles on them as neither of us were happy with the stock saddles. Low end shimano stuff but the indexed shifting works flawlessly. The suntour fork and pogo stick seat are nice for rougher trails but the seat will move a little side to side no matter how much you tighten it. For $199, free shipping and no tax from amazon we are very satisfied with the bikes and would recommend them to anyone. Some have complained about flat tires right out of the box due to cheap rim liners but we haven't had that issue. I did have my wife's front wheel trued for 5 bucks as it was a little too wobbly IMO. Brakes were easy to set up and work well. Rear derailleur was setup perfect out of the box (low end Shimano) and fronts were close. I get a chuckle out of people who spend thousands for barely better quality although these bikes are a little on the heavy side and not meant for competition or anything. We typically do 20mi. rides and nothing seems to be wearing out after hundreds of miles
tic

Return to Comfort and/or Combination Bikes