Schwinn Admiral and Schwinn Solitaire

These are bikes that work well on the road for recreational riding or trips to the store and also work for paved or well groomed bike trails, rails-to-trails and around the block.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Schwinn Admiral and Schwinn Solitaire

Postby SchwinnGtGuy74 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 am

Hi all first post here been looking for a few weeks really like the forum and people seem very helpful.I am looking for a bike to go to work with and decided on one of these three bikes from Walmart the two Schwinn Admirals and the Schwinn Solitaire not sure what the differences are on the Admirals only thing I can see are the colors and the seat and on the Solitaire is it worth the extra money looks nice too thanks.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-700c- ... e/19582534
http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwinn- ... e/21191096
http://www.walmart.com/ip/700C-Men-s-Sc ... e/13398140
SchwinnGtGuy74

Re: Schwinn Admiral and Schwinn Solitaire

Postby steady eddie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:12 am

Schwinn Guy---

Welcome.. :D ..we need more Schwinn Guys here.. :!: ..

For the money, it is hard to beat the Blue Schwinn Admiral, IMO. Besides the obvious difference in price, I suspect the Red Schwinn Admiral is a close-out model.. :?: ..

Now then, you asked about the Schwinn Solitaire. It is a whole 'nother breed of cat.

It features a "suspension" front fork at 4 1/2 pounds and a "suspension" seat post, at an additional 1 1/2 pounds, all dead weight, IMHO.

The Solitaire has a goofy spoke lacing, front and rear. It also has a "bobbed" off front fender
that makes the install of a front mud flap impossible, as it will not "hang" correctly.

For me, I do not need the 21 speeds of the Solitaire, seven is plenty.

Good luck and welcome.. :) ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:10 am

Welcome to the forum. I agree with SE that we need more Schwinn people here. I'm a recent convert with my new-to-me 1980s Schwinn World Tourist which has surprised me with its sweet handling.

The second Schwinn Admiral on your list has different handle bars to make it look more "mountain-ish" I think.

SE is right... the extra weight on the Solitaire is dead weight.

When I was younger I would have ridiculed the idea of commuting on a bike with upright posture and sprung saddles. It's absolutely true that they do not promote efficient pedaling and, for me back then, efficient pedaling was what it was all about. But I am older now, and perhaps wiser, but I rode 6 miles on my World Tourist a week ago and enjoyed it immensely. I wasn't as fast and I am pretty sure that a long climb would have meant some hike-a-bike, but I didn't have a sore neck or shoulders... or butt. Go figure.

My son-in-law has an Admiral and he likes it a lot. Mostly on paved trails and mostly towing a "Chariot" with a kid in it.

You won't impress the Lycra-clad crowd with your speed but I can't see how you would go far wrong on that first Admiral on your list.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby SchwinnGtGuy74 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys and the info on the bikes I listed I think I will go with the Schwinn Admiral at the price it cant be beat and it looks good also you guys are right we need more Schwinn guys I have four Schwinn bmx's a 2000 Schwinn Pro Modified,2000 Schwinn Blue Falcon limited edition, 2001 Schwinn Automatic Comp Joey Garcia and a 1997 Schwinn pro mod cruiser.I also had a Schwinn homegrown but I sold that and now I have a 2012 29'' GT Zasker Elite but I love anything Schwinn I collect Schwinn stickers and signs cant help it lol think I will get the bike in a box so I can build it myself love building bikes.
SchwinnGtGuy74

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:51 pm

SchwinnGtGuy74 wrote:...... but I love anything Schwinn I collect Schwinn stickers and signs cant help it lol

Schwinn is a respected name - still - in American bicycling. Many of us on this forum are old enough to remember when every kid in school wanted a Schwinn. And riding a bike to school meant freedom. A couple of years ago I rode my bike from my childhood home to my elementary school through my old paper route. Not much had changed except the trees are bigger. But one thing had changed. No bikes in the bicycle racks at the elementary school!!! When I was attending that school you couldn't fit a bike into the rack if you weren't there 15 minutes before school started.

I'd like to get us back to those days and see more kids riding to school. Schwinn's bicycles - even if they are no longer owned by the same people - sure could help do that because everyone associated that name with bikes.

Feel free to post pictures of your collection. We're all about nostalgia here. :mrgreen:

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby SchwinnGtGuy74 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:11 am

I ordered the red one online should be here before the 4th hope it fits or I'll take it back for a refund.I also wish more kids would ride a Schwinn or any bike I'll try to get some pics up in a few days of some of my bikes.
SchwinnGtGuy74

Postby rudiger » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:01 pm

steady eddie wrote:Schwinn Guy---

Welcome.. :D ..we need more Schwinn Guys here.. :!: ..

For the money, it is hard to beat the Blue Schwinn Admiral, IMO. Besides the obvious difference in price, I suspect the Red Schwinn Admiral is a close-out model.. :?: ..

Now then, you asked about the Schwinn Solitaire. It is a whole 'nother breed of cat.

It features a "suspension" front fork at 4 1/2 pounds and a "suspension" seat post, at an additional 1 1/2 pounds, all dead weight, IMHO.

The Solitaire has a goofy spoke lacing, front and rear. It also has a "bobbed" off front fender
that makes the install of a front mud flap impossible, as it will not "hang" correctly.

For me, I do not need the 21 speeds of the Solitaire, seven is plenty.

Good luck and welcome.. :) ..

I have a Solitaire but, honestly, can't disagree with any of the above. For starters, my guess is that the goofy spoke lacing is an affectation which is actually a hindrance when trying to properly true the spokes.

The biggest issue with the Solitaire is probably the big jump in price over the Admiral. Unless there are steep hills where 21 speeds might come in handy, I can't see any of the Solitaire's extra stuff being worth it (although I really like EZ-Fire trigger shifters). For flat-land paved trails or streets (where a suspension fork/seat are useless), the much cheaper Admiral would likely be a better choice as an all-around, generic, comfort bike at a good price, a modern update of the classic, omnipresent, single-speed, coaster brake Schwinn from the fifties and sixties.
rudiger

Postby SchwinnGtGuy74 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:08 am

This is just a update its been awhile I took the Admiral back to Walmart as I couldn't get in on the plane back to England the box was to big lol anyways I been searching around over here and found a better deal online for a Schwinn Coffee for 170 pounds been riding it to work for about two weeks now its the smoothest bike I have ever rode and the 3 speed nexus gears shift perfect it took about a hour to put it together and I love it.Here are some photos of it I can take more if someone would like.
SchwinnGtGuy74

Postby FoxtheBikeGuy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:58 am

Howdy Y'all! Yes, I'm new here. But I think it will fit me just fine.
I'm one of those guys who goes out and rescues as many Salvageable Bikes as I can from the local Landfill, Totally rebuilds them, (With "Original) parts as often as Possible), lol.
I belong to a Local 501(c)3, Nonprofit all Volunteer Organization.
Which means that I do it all out of my own Pocket, ha ha.
I do this to help keep these bikes from being crushed when so many Physically & Mentally Disabled, Elderly, Veterans, and Low income Families, etc, cant afford to buy Brand New Bikes, and still need to be able to get around & get some Exercise!
A lot of the time I end up Donating bikes to Needy people just to help them get out and get healthy, lmbo.
Just recently had a Pig Farmer Bring me one of the Schwinn Admirals that he had had stored in his Barn for a while.
MAN was it Dusty & Dirty! Bird Poop all over it, and Looked Pretty Bad...
After cleaning it up, going through all the Cables, Bearings, Tubes, Tires, chain, etc, I found that it was only ridden a Few times, and was in Almost new condition.
Sometimes I do sell some of the Bikes to help me keep being able to Buy new Parts to fix up more Bikes.
Look foward to hearing from Y'all!
FoxtheBikeGuy

Postby to the beach » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Good looking Schwinn, I like the insignia, it's the same as that of a 1960s Schwinn I once owned.
to the beach

Return to Comfort and/or Combination Bikes