Central Alabama

Roads, rails-to-trails, mtb trails, single track, double track, pump tracks, BMX tracks
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous. Stay on topic!

Central Alabama

Postby Freebooter » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Hello all,
I am new to all this but I have been looking up stuff in preparation for riding trails. So if you are in Cetral Alabama here are some things I know of: I have no photos, but some main ones near me in central Alabama that I have learned of are:
1. Tuskeegee National forest; Bartram Trail, for hiking, is 8.4 miles long with camping, etc.; I am not sure of their bike trail.
2. On one side of Lake Martin north of Montgomery is an 8000 acre tract of land just criss crossed with hiking, biking, and equinine trails.
3. And right over by Wetumpka is a great set of trails called Swayback Bridge Trail. It is 4 seperate trails in one area each with their own distance, that join if you want to do the whole thing, like 12 miles. I intend on riding that one in the very near future. Some of it bordes Lake Jordon and goes along bluffs over looking the lake.
4. Bear Creek Swamp road. This is no trail but public dirt road that connects Hy 14 to Hy 82. Not much traffic, all woods and through a swamp, beside and small lake. Neat little ride if one just wanted to ride through an old dirt road. Around Bear Creek Swamp are old tales of Little People, ghosts, etc..
5. Prattville, Alabama: Pine Creek goes for miles. You can see where four wheelers, motorcycles,and bikes have been following it. It empties into the Alabama River. A good place to get in it is at Cooters Pond. for that matter you can ride all up and around Cooters Pond, a park and boat ramp area. Steep hills, etc..if you dont'mind riding on pavement.
6. Ft. Toulouse between Montgomery and Wetumpka. It is a rebuilt old French fort from 1600s along with one from War of 1812 era. There is paved roads and off road trails all in it too.
Freebooter
--
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Freebooter

Re: Central Alabama

Postby spdogger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks, great info.

I might also add for those who might end up in the Birmingham area, many folks here are already familiar with the well developed 22 plus miles of bicycle trail at Oak Mountain state park just south of town. If you try, ride the loop clockwise (along the red trail in the valley) first as I learned the hard way going up the 600 ft mountain climb the other direction is nearly impossible.

Also, there is an excellent club here called BUMP that has developed these trails and several others in the area and is actively building more. They have a great website with maps at www.bump.org
spdogger

Postby Freebooter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 am

Hey Spdogger,
Sounds interesting. I haved abt gotten out of the habbit of riding my 29" Mongoose from Walmart due to cold weather and also pain in my hands and wrists. When I ride more than a mile or so my wrists and hands hurt very badly from my weight leaning over on them on the handlebars. I have been intending to get higher bars or something, just haven't gotten around to it. I have moved onto a house on a dirt road. From my house to where it deadends into a paved road is abt 1/2 mile. I have been riding it, there and back making it a mile. Once winter is over, I will get back in the habbit.
Freebooter
--
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Freebooter

Postby desertguns » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:43 pm

FB - A pair of $20 riding glove can help more than you might think. A straight handle bar is an unnatural position too. You can buy riser bars that angle back slightly, and also height adjustable stems are available now to try different bar heights. A shorter stem might help too. It took me months to get used to the riding position on a MTB & tried lots of bar & seat setups. And my tolerance/comfort level also changed as I got stronger. Each person is different. In my case, starting out old & fat didn't help :D
desertguns

Postby robn13 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:21 pm

spdogger wrote:Thanks, great info.

I might also add for those who might end up in the Birmingham area, many folks here are already familiar with the well developed 22 plus miles of bicycle trail at Oak Mountain state park just south of town. If you try, ride the loop clockwise (along the red trail in the valley) first as I learned the hard way going up the 600 ft mountain climb the other direction is nearly impossible.

Also, there is an excellent club here called BUMP that has developed these trails and several others in the area and is actively building more. They have a great website with maps at http://www.bump.org

Great info on Oak Mountain, spdogger, very accurate and well presented. Oak Mountain biking is the best recreational opportunity in all of Birmingham. BUMP does great job of maintaining/building trails. They have a family loop and a new 3mi loop around the lake that I would also rate as quite easy. The trail spdogger is talking about can be tough. I took about 14 stitches from a plastic surgeon after doing a STUPID end over (aren't they all? ;-). They have it named/marked/divided in sections so you don't have to do the whole thing. Go on BUMP website for good map like dogger said. One section has "blood rock", appropriately named.

Stay away on weekend, too many hotshots (i.e. REALLY good riders who will be passing you continuously). Have to be a stud to do the whole thing. Not where you want to get caught with mechanical difficulties. If your bike is cheap, more difficult sections will probly make it explode. I don't skimp on maintenance. Stan's no tubes best $ ever spent. Does anybody use anything else? Have plenty H2O, eats, cell phone, tools, pump, etc. I have friends who got cheap bikes, tried to warn them, this trail WILL make them explode so be careful. Great race every June by BUMP, used to be NORBA certified, pick a difficult spot on the course and watch the masters do the impossible. But boy, do they SUFFER. I have medical training and I see the sxs. But they all say it is a GREAT trail, just not 3 times around ;-(. See u there!
robn13

Postby Irishmongooserider » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Freebooter wrote:Hey Spdogger,
Sounds interesting. I haved abt gotten out of the habbit of riding my 29" Mongoose from Walmart due to cold weather and also pain in my hands and wrists. When I ride more than a mile or so my wrists and hands hurt very badly from my weight leaning over on them on the handlebars. I have been intending to get higher bars or something, just haven't gotten around to it. I have moved onto a house on a dirt road. From my house to where it deadends into a paved road is abt 1/2 mile. I have been riding it, there and back making it a mile. Once winter is over, I will get back in the habbit.
Freebooter

I really like these handlebars from Origin8: http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&sho ... HANDLEBARS I know, I'm Origin8 crazy- but they really do provide top level quality (that equals other companies I've used, like Easton), but at a much lower price than the other bigger companies. If you want a good view of them, check out my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMZzPhD9X8&feature=plcp These are very easy on the wrists, and wide enough to provide good control even off-road.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Return to Where to ride