Tomorrow is my first commute

Roads, rails-to-trails, mtb trails, single track, double track, pump tracks, BMX tracks
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous. Stay on topic!

Tomorrow is my first commute

Postby Hero_004 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 am

Hey guys tomorrow is my first commute on bicycle ever! It's about a 3.5 mile trip from my house to my college, do you guys have any tips or suggestions on any precautions I should take while riding? I do have to cross one avenue to get to my destination, help please?
Sette Razzo (ebike)
Razzo Elettrico http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=50042

Mongoose Seek'r
Shimano Acrea Rapid Fire Shifters
Vee Rubber 6 650b
Hero_004

Re: Tomorrow is my first commute

Postby Techman XR-PRO » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Well I'd probably start out a little early if you havnt already rode the route to see how long it'll take you. I see you are in North Carolina! What part? I'm in Cherryville, about 45 minutes out of Charlotte! Maybe we could get together some time and ride! Blammo and I are planning on meeting up again for another ride together, maybe we could all three meet up at some point? If you want you can pm your location.
Upgrades: Sram 306 hubs, Wtb FX23 Wheelset, Race Face X Type Crankset w/BB, Sram Cassette, Race Face Atlas Handlebars, Hope Space Doctor Headset Spacers, CLARK grips, 6.5 Fox Float RL rear shock & Raidon Rear shock, 2012 Race Face Evolve Stem
Techman XR-PRO

Postby Hero_004 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm Raleigh, Blammo sent me a message about riding with you guys but I don't feel I'm ready mentally or physically yet. Plus I'm buried in homework and paper but by next summer I feel like I'll be more comfortable and in shape haha. I kinda have a route planned out and it should take me about 20 mins to get there but I'm going to leave with an hour in advance to freshen up a bit when I get there (I don't want to show up to class all sweaty for the ladies 8-) ). I do have baby wipes and a fresh shirt in backpack to change into too.
Sette Razzo (ebike)

Mongoose Seek'r
Vee Rubber 6 650b
Hero_004

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 am

So how did the commute go?

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Hero_004 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:05 am

It was great, I was on the sidewalk most of the time and only got on the road when there was no sidewalk or I needed to be. I did have a bit of trouble getting up one hill on the way to college but nothing too bad, when I had to cross the widest road (which was basically a boulevard) I got on the road and waited for the light to change. I went to the bathroom and wiped myself down with my baby wipes and was just waiting for my class (I got there 45 mins early). On the way back it was a bit more difficult to get on road because of the raised median in the middle (and there's no crosswalk to get across the road) but I managed to get in the lane after some unorthodox and reckless maneuvering. The way back was a bit easier since I knew the way and just cruised along the sidewalk. When I was turning into my street I left my left crank arm coming loose :( but for the most part it was a great first commute.
Sette Razzo (ebike)

Mongoose Seek'r
Vee Rubber 6 650b
Hero_004

Return to Where to ride