NW Illinois, NE Iowa

Roads, rails-to-trails, mtb trails, single track, double track, pump tracks, BMX tracks
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous. Stay on topic!

NW Illinois, NE Iowa

Postby tigris99 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Being as I see crap for midwest trails listed figured I would get this up, may help ppl around here that dont know there are trails to ride, paved and a little of not paved.

Great River Bike Trail from Savanna IL to the Quad Cities. Sadly not well mapped online yet, so using MapMyRide on my Android phone Im mapping it out bit by bit and passing over to them. There is also something similar on the Iowa side but uses much more surface streets and expanded sidewalks than an actual "bike path" unlike the illinois side. I live kind right in the center between the 2 ends.

Iowa side the path does go on the levee for a while which is a nice veiw. However today I found something that not great or big area, but if you have a MTB its nice singletrack area to play around in, several routes all over what used to be a island till they put the levee system and such in. Some gulleys/runoffs so add to minor techincal fun of darting through trees and over the occasional log. Like I said nothing major, but gives some fun if you only got time for a 30min-1hr ride.

I am working on locating places to scout for more MTB trails cause i got all the road paths I could ever need since the GRT is 60 miles long :p. Trying to find some MTBers that know the area better to give me some ideas where to look/try out.
tigris99

Re: NW Illinois, NE Iowa

Postby tigris99 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Found a single track area about 40mins from me outside davenport Iowa. Scott county park. Lbs/trek dealer rides there and says its nice and got multiple difficulties all marked and such. Will be Going down Sunday just to walk around with my boy after trying out the fishing at the lake there then next week will give the easy lvls of the path a go and report back with pics.
tigris99

Re: NW Illinois, NE Iowa

Postby tigris99 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:39 pm

UPDATE:

For those near where I am, Quad Cities Iowa/Illinois, Best info on trails here is: http://www.qcforc.org/

Scott County park: Fun, plenty of trails to ride, Ive covered everything except one offshoot and then the Black Diamond (unmapped but marked) section called Area 51. Got fast, hills, techinical, all around good time.

Sunderbruch: What Little I touched was fun, plan to hit it full force come spring cause I wanna conquer everything there except the black diamond next season. Hilly, Green trails seem good and fast, blue much more hilly and a bit more challenging

Illiniwek: apperently its a couple big uphills that start each loop, which is then long flowing DH, supposed ot be a sweet ride if you can convince yourself into the long climb first.

Sylvan Island: "The Playground" overall lvl terrain wiht short steep uphills (nothing more than about 15ft) with short DH preceeding most of them, plenty of techinical darting through tree and around ruins of old steel mill. I love this place for just flying around to get practice at technical without a bunch up hills involved.

Thats for Mountain bike trails, all singletrack with green to black diamond rated. Illiniwek Im saving for when im in better shape, weigh less next season so Ill update that then.
tigris99

Return to Where to ride