Chain Lube

Questions regarding lubrication, adjustments, repairs and other issues
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Chain Lube

Postby desertguns » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I had no idea there was a dedicated WD40 bike product line. I'd give that stuff a shot.
desertguns

Postby bikesRfun » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 am

What if you just clean the chain after every ride and don't put any type of oil on it. In dry dusty conditions the dust will stick to the oil.

Or maybe just use dry graphite powder?
bikesRfun

Postby desertguns » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:38 pm

It's on the previous page but that is what I do. Except for the cleaning the chain part which doesn't get done enough but new chains always get degreased before installation. Monsoon season is the rough time with 6-8 weeks of intermittent rainy days. It's not uncommon for the axles to be submerged regularly in sandy, muddy wash water. I use Hoppes #9 with weatherguard on chains & cables & doesn't let anything rust. The rest of the time it's Remington or Liquid Wrench dry lube. I tried White Lightning & another "dry" lube for bikes & it left a waxy film that attracted dust & sand. I just ordered the WD40 dry lube for bikes & will give it a shot. I tried a bunch of things when I only had the Deception to run out here & it was a great learning experience. These days I'm not big into try new stuff. If it an't broke, don't fix it.
desertguns

Previous

Return to Technical