Lube, What are you using?

Questions regarding lubrication, adjustments, repairs and other issues
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Lube, What are you using?

Postby dddd » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:17 pm

I couldn't figure out how to apply that Nashbar oil without ending up with way too much oozing out of the chain later, so I diluted it 1:4 (mostly solvent) and then it worked about like the others. It's thicker to begin with than motor oil, more like chainsaw bar oil, so it probably lasts and runs quieter longer.
I can't really keep track of how much better it is though, since every ride puts different demands on the chain. I only re-lube when the chain sounds kind of rattly, not squeaking yet but with a higher level of noise than when freshly lubed. Probably every few hundred road miles, or maybe every ride when I've been riding on dusty or wet trails.
That little 8oz bottle of the Nashbar lube makes about a quart of diluted lube, so it's hella cheap.
Again, the trick is in the squeeze bottle with the applicator tube, just be careful if you drill out the cap on a smaller squeeze bottle like I did that no flecks of plastic are left behind to clog the flow while you're lubing your chain. That drove me nuts and I had to clean it out again and then filter the lube back into the bottle with a small fuel filter.
dddd

Re: Lube, What are you using?

Postby ScentedOrange » Fri May 05, 2017 11:07 am

So far my favourite has been Muc-Off Dry* Lube
ScentedOrange

Previous

Return to Technical