Lube, What are you using?

Questions regarding lubrication, adjustments, repairs and other issues
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Lube, What are you using?

Postby endomaster » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:25 am

Like the title states, what lube are you using on your chain?
Road
2011 Felt Z100 - SS conversion
2011 Ragley Cragg Vale
2016 PlanetX Pro Carbon

Mountain
2011 On One Inbred SS

General Use
1993 Mongoose Crossway 625
endomaster

Re: Lube, What are you using?

Postby bikesRfun » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:44 am

My favorite is Purple Extreme but right now I'm using ATB red.
bikesRfun

Postby jasnooks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:10 am

One drop of 3-in-one oil on each link about twice a month
jasnooks

Postby to the beach » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:57 am

Finish Line wet lube, White Lightning dry lube. Even motor oil is better than no lube at all, motor oil is messy though.
to the beach

Postby NYMXer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 am

Gold Pro, best out there. Very clean and lasts a long time
NYMXer

Postby endomaster » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:09 pm

Since I started the thread I suppose I should I add what I use. I mostly use Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube on my daily riders but recently decided to try a different lube, Orange Slide by Orange Seal, the chains are staying clean but not as long lived as the Finish Line lube. I also use Squirt Dry Wax Lube on one bike but that once doesn't get ridden in anything but dry weather, that lube lasts much longer and a little goes a long way.
Road
2011 Ragley Cragg Vale
2016 PlanetX Pro Carbon

Mountain
2011 On One Inbred SS

General Use
endomaster

Postby dddd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 pm

At some point I decided that how I maintain the chain was more important than what I lubed it with, though the heavier chain lubes definitely last a lot longer.

I use a squeeze bottle with an applicator tube from a spray can to apply a thin, inexpensive mixture of thinner and oil.
I mix four parts thinner to one part oil, so I can easily dispense the oil in a continuous stream to the moving chain as I turn the cranks backward.

I usually wipe off the chain with a terry cloth shop towel before and after applying the lube, and I try to do this after a ride rather than before a ride, so the thinner has time to evaporate, so the oil doesn't fly off.

What I like about my chain care method is that I can do the whole job in a minute or two, so I'm less likely to put it off, and that the chain isn't over-oiled after the solvent dries. My chains actually stay pretty clean this way, I don't ever have to use any cleaner on it.

dddd

Postby to the beach » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:29 pm

dddd, what is the weight of oil you use?
to the beach

Postby dddd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:41 pm

I've used all kinds of oil, motor or gear oil worked fine and this Nashbar brand oil is also a good one that I mix with thinner.

Some of the thinners today don't really mix with oil, so test a small amount first. Like they have alcohol(?) in them.

I use a bit less solvent in the winter, a little more in the summer.
dddd

Postby endomaster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:23 pm

dddd wrote:At some point I decided that how I maintain the chain was more important than what I lubed it with, though the heavier chain lubes definitely last a lot longer.

I use a squeeze bottle with an applicator tube from a spray can to apply a thin, inexpensive mixture of thinner and oil.
I mix four parts thinner to one part oil, so I can easily dispense the oil in a continuous stream to the moving chain as I turn the cranks backward.

I usually wipe off the chain with a terry cloth shop towel before and after applying the lube, and I try to do this after a ride rather than before a ride, so the thinner has time to evaporate, so the oil doesn't fly off.

What I like about my chain care method is that I can do the whole job in a minute or two, so I'm less likely to put it off, and that the chain isn't over-oiled after the solvent dries. My chains actually stay pretty clean this way, I don't ever have to use any cleaner on it.

Thanks for the feedback and description of how you lube your chain. I pretty much do the same thing and my chains stay relatively clean without alot of buildup, depending on the lube some do attract more dirt than others, but I never have a gunky drivetrain when doing as you described.

How do you like that Nashbar lube? I've seen it on the website but never pulled the trigger on it.
Road
2011 Ragley Cragg Vale
2016 PlanetX Pro Carbon

Mountain
2011 On One Inbred SS

General Use
endomaster

Next

Return to Technical