Rim depth question

Questions regarding lubrication, adjustments, repairs and other issues
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Rim depth question

Postby jasnooks » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Since I don't know all the technical terms, I'll post a pic of the rims in question first..

The one with no tire is obviously a deeper rim (about 9/16"or 14mm deeper) but both wheels have the same spoke diameter/count/lacing/hub diameter. Both rims are 700c, and both measure 25mm wide, and I'll be running 32 or 35c tires (35 right now), mostly on rough paved roads, and packed dirt.

Now for the question, will the deeper rims give me a noticably harsher ride, or would it be so insignificant that I either wouldn't notice, or I could just drop my tire psi a few lbs, and not even notice?
jasnooks

Re: Rim depth question

Postby dddd » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 am

Wheels really aren't very flexible in that direction. If they flexed even a half millimeter each spoke would lose all it's tension for an instant every time the wheel turned around, and the spokes would all become loose after only a few miles. You'll never notice the difference in rim flex if the spokes are tensioned as high as they need to be in order for the wheel to survive, but lighter wheels still give a more comfortable ride since they don't bounce up over bumps by their own weight inertia as much as heavy wheels do.
A heavy bike rides rougher when bumps are big enough that the rider's weight can't quite keep the tires pushed down against the ground, then a half-inch bump might send the wheels more like one inch upward, which is gonna paddle the rider pretty good. Cheaper road bikes often make up for this though by having wider tires inflated to lower pressure, and frame angles that allow more a little more give in the frame and fork.
dddd

Postby jasnooks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:04 am

Thank you for the reply.

Since it's easy to test, I think I'm gonna give the deeper rims a try, and see how it feels. I can easily throw the other wheel set back on if the ride gets to harsh.
The reason for wanting to switch wheels is that the deeper wheels have a machined braking surface, aluminum hubs, rubber bearing "seals", and to be honest, they just look better.
The standard wheels have non machined/painted braking surface, steel hubs, no real bearing seals, and even though their brand new the paint is flaking off the nipples already, and I haven't even touched them with a spoke wrench yet. Basically just a super cheap wheel set.
FYI, this is a low budget build, so I'm not interested in building wheels for this bike.

Hopefully the deeper/better wheels don't change the ride quality. I just got this bike, and I really like the way the steel frame rides.

I'll post the results after swapping the wheels.
jasnooks

Postby bikesRfun » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 am

Yes, show us a picture of the whole bike.
bikesRfun

Postby jasnooks » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:07 pm

bikesRfun wrote:Yes, show us a picture of the whole bike.

Nothing fancy, just something to get me around town, running errands.
Roadmaster adventures 700c. 1x7. Steel frame and fork, and bottom of the line steel components. The rims are the only aluminum parts on the bike.
Basically stock, except I stripped all the branding, removed the heavy wheel reflectors (yes I could feel them), ditched the kickstand, replaced the front and rear reflectors with some I had that didn't rattle, added a Friendly Swede bottle cage that I had laying around, replaced the seat post quick disconnect with a stainless steel bolt nut and washers, and swapped out the 24"wide straight steel bars with a pair of 26.5"wide 4"rise alum bars that I had laying around.
Also I tore the whole bike down, and rebuilt it with real grease on everything.

29.7 lbs, and except for the derailleur (no name, total pos), it fits my needs perfectly. Especially for $99 lol.

Reminds me of the BMX bikes I used to ride 30+ years ago, except bigger and a few gears.

jasnooks

Postby bikesRfun » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Looks like it is a good bike for commuting.
Under 30 lbs, good.
bikesRfun

Postby bikesRfun » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 am

I changed from a flat handlebar to a high rise like yours. I posted a picture on the 26 mtn bike forum.
bikesRfun

Return to Technical