BB (crank arm length) upgrade - Huffy Rock It ? Help

Questions regarding lubrication, adjustments, repairs and other issues
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: BB (crank arm length) upgrade - Huffy Rock It ? Help

Postby frictionshift » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:22 pm

frictionshift wrote:Will probably take spindle, cups, and cones down to the auto parts store. Maybe they'll have the right size bearings to make it all fit.

Then again... They do have a machine shop.

Haven't quite worked a visit to the auto parts store into my schedule.
frictionshift wrote:Or I might just end up using the short crank :cry:

I did a concept build using the short crank. Can not ride it. Crank arms way too short for me.

Another possible option:
I have been reading that 6906-2RS bearings will fit the 47mm bottom bracket and a PF30 crankset (at least I think that is what I've been reading).

Too much trial and error is going to run into some serious ca$h fast tho :roll: .

Maybe I'll get to visit the auto shop soon, and if I can't come up with something there, I'll just have to put this project on the back burner for a while.

Huffy was helpful by giving me the proper dimensions, but they couldn't tell me what hardware I'd need to install longer crank arms.
This could have been due to legal/liability issues, I'm guessing, since part of their conversation was something along the lines of "...what if an inexperienced rider drags of bumps a pedal against something and crashes ..." :|
I'm the old man you see on the bike.
I love my 10 speed, but can't resist taking my 20 inch for a spin.
So I bought this cheap bike to use for donor parts, but find myself trying to build it back up now...
frictionshift

Re: BB (crank arm length) upgrade - Huffy Rock It ? Help

Postby frictionshift » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 pm

I was wrong about this.
frictionshift wrote:EDIT - UPDATE:

I now have an ID on the crank:
It is called a Mini Hex or Hex Mini One Piece Crank. Hopefully someone will get some use from that bit of information.
Mine is 4.5 inch (or 115mm) crank arm length... and I believe this is the longest arm length available in Hex Mini one piece crank.

The diameter of this one piece crank is the same as the mini hex or the hex mini.
The chainring itself is round in the center , not hex shape.

It's like a standard American 1 pc except scaled down to fit a 47mm bottom bracket.

If I am making any sense at this point :|

I went through with a concept build using an old chopper fork.
It rides OK on flat ground, but I won't be doing any uphill riding without longer crank arms.
I'm the old man you see on the bike.
I love my 10 speed, but can't resist taking my 20 inch for a spin.
So I bought this cheap bike to use for donor parts, but find myself trying to build it back up now...
frictionshift

Previous

Return to Technical