New User Necessary Tools

Questions regarding lubrication, adjustments, repairs and other issues
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

New User Necessary Tools

Postby Miscr3ant » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:38 pm

I just bought a 29" Mongoose XR-PRO from a BBS, and since I don't know how to assemble and adjust the bike, I took it to my local bike store.

Now, earlier, when I was taking my old hardtail in for service and cleaning, they were friendly and helpful. When I bought a new (shock absorbing) seat post and updated (flatter) seat, they were friendly and helpful. When I said I was thinking of upgrading to a new bike with front suspension, they were friendly and helpful. When I hauled my new bike in for assembly...all of a sudden, not so friendly and helpful. Oh, they're doing it, but no smiles, little eye contact, short on time to talk, etc. I get it, they want to sell bikes, but they are looking at losing a customer's service needs with this.

This leads me to learning the skills to maintain my own shtuff, but I understand I'll need a few specialized tools; I'm a guy, so I have no problems with that. ;) Looking at Amazon, I'm seeing the following, and was wondering if this august group could give me some pointers on if it will have the basics to get me started. :)

Thanks all. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Premium-Bike-Repair-Tools/dp/B011NJ5WP4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=190D949MMHM20Z70CYKR

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B005KOKFUQ/ref=acr_search_see_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
Miscr3ant

Re: New User Necessary Tools

Postby Renaldow » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:09 am

That tool set is good, I'm sure. It looks fairly complete! My suggestion though is not to get it. I think you'll find that most repairs are going to be made with 13mm, 14mm, and 15mm wrenches, a metric allen wrench set, and screwdrivers. There are some specialized wrenches/adapters/tools that make working on your bike much easier, things like bottom bracket tools, etc. Those I purchase as needed.
Renaldow

Postby leonardH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:14 pm

I wouldn't buy the repair stand. That thing looks unstable and cumbersome.
Find a used park tools stand on CL or hang some cargo straps from your work area ceiling.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643637.587267.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643637.587267.jpg (313.68 KiB) Viewed 770 times
leonardH

Postby Miscr3ant » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Renaldow wrote:That tool set is good, I'm sure. It looks fairly complete! My suggestion though is not to get it. I think you'll find that most repairs are going to be made with 13mm, 14mm, and 15mm wrenches, a metric allen wrench set, and screwdrivers. There are some specialized wrenches/adapters/tools that make working on your bike much easier, things like bottom bracket tools, etc. Those I purchase as needed.

Gotcha. I'll look into specialized tools once I see the need for that kind of repairs. Thanks!
Miscr3ant

Postby Miscr3ant » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:50 pm

leonardH wrote:I wouldn't buy the repair stand. That thing looks unstable and cumbersome.
Find a used park tools stand on CL or hang some cargo straps from your work area ceiling.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438643637.587267.jpg

A great idea, thanks for the pic too!
Miscr3ant

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Um... I will disagree with the strap idea. Great for storing your bike, but probably not for work. The work stand would be okay. There's small another work stand that a free of us have for a few (literally, a few. Like $5) more. Down side, plastic clamps. Plus side, still pretty durable, light, and has a magnetic tool tray.

You may not need the tool set, but if you don't want to piece one together, then get it. When you get to a certain point of modding your bike, you'll pretty much just need Allen wrenches to do everything, aside from a Phillips head. At that point, a bike multi tool will be good for roadside emergencies.
Falkon45

Postby bikesRfun » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:37 am

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/w ... _-1_catNav

I recommend the Spin Doctor Essential tool kit from Performance bike. I got it on sale for $40.
bikesRfun

Return to Technical