Clicking Noise When Hard Pedalling

Questions regarding lubrication, adjustments, repairs and other issues
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Clicking Noise When Hard Pedalling

Postby Noter » Wed May 20, 2015 11:29 am

Bought Genesis Saber used almost a year ago, last month or so noticed clicking noise when pedalling with some energy. Sound seems to be coming from the crank area. Is it time for a new bottom bracket? If I get a new bottom bracket, should I look at new crank too, the original is still on the bike? Can you buy these as a pair?

Thanks,
Matt
Noter

Re: Clicking Noise When Hard Pedalling

Postby 6sharky9 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:37 pm

I wouldnt doubt after a years time the bottom bracket would be going bad...some dont make it even close to a year....The really weak point in the set up is the bottom bracket...If your happy with the crank then i dont see a reason to replace it really unless you wanted to...Most like to use a shimano replacement bottom bracket...What size i couldnt tell you as i dont have one but someone with one should chime in and let you know what to get...The Shimano UN 55 i think is what most use to replace the stock one... just not sure what size you need.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Noter » Thu May 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Found a post on this site that says the original bb is "Shimano UN-26 68mm x 113mm. With these numbers I can find replacement easy. Should I want new crank, just use the 113mm as my basis?
Noter

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:53 pm

Most cranks are pretty much a common size shaft, rather square taper or splined...for that bottom bracket to work you need to use a square taper crankset like you have now..Just be sure to chose the proper crank arm length..some are 170mm and some are 175mm...I would venture to say you will want the 175mm as this is the common adult sized crank arm length.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Noter » Fri May 22, 2015 7:23 am

Great info, thanks for the help.
Noter

Postby bikesRfun » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:50 am

My bb mongoose came stock with 170.
bikesRfun

Postby dddd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:39 pm

The Genesis Saber looks like a half-decent aluminum bbb, but am I the only one who would be shocked to find that one of these bikes came with a Shimano bottom bracket?

Maybe best to start by pulling out the original bottom bracket, which might still be serviceable for light use around town. Measure the spindle overall length minus the threaded ends, and also measure it to see if it has any offset to it, being a little longer on one end than the other(?). Usually a slightly-shorter spindle or one with less or no offset can be used and works a little better.

Changing to a cartridge-style bottom bracket could be cheaper than having to buy the tools needed to correctly service the original bottom bracket. Usually the original one can at least be removed with just a large slip-joint plier after the crankarms have been pulled off.
...The cartridge-style bottom brackets need only a single splined tool to remove and install.
dddd

Postby bikesRfun » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:40 am

Have you checked to make sure the clicking noise isn't something simple like a loose kickstand contacting the pedal or crankarm?
Do you have loose pedal bearings?
If you hold your bike with one hand and grab a crank arm with the other, is there movement when you push and pull the arm sideways?
bikesRfun

Return to Technical