New break pads on my Mongoose Stat

Questions regarding lubrication, adjustments, repairs and other issues
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

New break pads on my Mongoose Stat

Postby cdysthe » Thu May 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi,

My modded Mongoose Stat has served me well for nearly a year thanks to you guys here helping me improve it. Now the disc break pads seem worn. Is it a difficult job replacing them and how do I find the right ones to get? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
cdysthe

Re: New break pads on my Mongoose Stat

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm

The little round pads are commonly called Zoom pads.
If you turn the adjustment knobs and the lock nut in line with the groove in the brake lever housing, you can usually pull the cable out of the housing, and get enough slack to pull the pads out without removing the cable from the brake levers
The pads have a tab that sticks up, one at a time, you can tip them toward center and pull them straight out. There are little magnets holding them in place. Make sure they're clean before you put the new pads in.
Position the new pads in properly, and the magnet will seat them for you.
The Stat and many other BBB's with the round pads are super easy to service. Just remember to put the cables back in and adjust the brakes before you ride again
Tomcat65

Postby cdysthe » Sat May 20, 2017 3:00 am

As always thank you for great help! One more question in this regard. Are there many different quality levels of break pads or do they mostly perform the same as long as they fit?
cdysthe

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:49 am

There aren't a lot of options out there for Zoom pads, mainly sintered or resin pads.

Resin pads, also called organic pads, are best for most BBB riders, they're more sensitive, less noisy, but they wear out faster, which makes the disc rotors last longer.

Sintered pads are the metallic brake pads of cycling. They're more suited for downhill bikes and racing, less fade from heat, they wear longer, but wear out your disc rotors, and they're not as sensitive.

There are a lot of cheap Chinese brake pads out there, and they may or may not be the same quality as the pads that came with your bike, but there are a few brand names who sell replacements, and they might even warranty them..
Have you considered upgrading your calipers? Maybe going hydraulic?
When you start looking at new brakes (calipers, brake levers, hydraulic vs. cable), there are a ton of options out there. The Zoom pads are about the minimum for brake pad surface area, but for 99% of folks out there, they work.
Tomcat65

Postby cdysthe » Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 pm

I had some break pads I bought last year when I got the new BB. They are "Novich Organic Disc Break Pads". Are those any good? They work much better than the old ones but if they aren't going to last I'll get something better. Replacing them was quick and easy.
cdysthe

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:05 pm

If they're inexpensive, and they work well for you, then run'em until they die
Get more, repeat
Tomcat65

Return to Technical