Whats available

For those who want (or need) to go to the source. Most frames and a lot of the components on bicycles sold all around the world are made in China. If you understand what you're doing, you can get an awesome deal. This is for you.

Re: Whats available

Postby orvil » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:47 am

I buy most of my components from Chain Reaction and Jenson USA. Through Jenson it was less than $500 USD for SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed cassette, rear derailleur, chain and crankset. I don’t see that as an increase in past pricing. I don’t see your logic or cause for your prediction.
orvil

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:12 am

The logic comes directly from all vendors on Aliexpress where there is a definitive price increase. Not only that but a entire groupset from Aliexpress includes BB and everything you need to complete a bike. Chain reaction does not include cables and housing. 372 bucks is with 60 percent sale price and that's 595 bucks for the same thing. Everyone offers m8000 for between 370 and 385 with no sale price. I always check for the deals and this year a non sale starting price for m9000 without di2 is 200 bucks more without sale price. That's my logic. My computer is filled with vendor emails from America to China.
Purple Haze

Postby lurker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:31 am

are y'all talking about putting $500 worth of "upgrades" on a $200 bike? because i have reservations (note, not objections) re the logic. if you're trying to build a $700 bike, why not just spend the $700? if you're trying to spread the expense out over time this might make sense. then there's the possibility (if you know what you're doing) of building a, say, $1200 bike from 700 in parts, which would be eminently sensible. is it really possible to build a $700 (or $1200) bike on the frame of a $200 bike?
questions, i have so many questions.
lurker

Postby jasnooks » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:21 am

lurker wrote:are y'all talking about putting $500 worth of "upgrades" on a $200 bike? because i have reservations (note, not objections) re the logic. if you're trying to build a $700 bike, why not just spend the $700? if you're trying to spread the expense out over time this might make sense. then there's the possibility (if you know what you're doing) of building a, say, $1200 bike from 700 in parts, which would be eminently sensible. is it really possible to build a $700 (or $1200) bike on the frame of a $200 bike?
questions, i have so many questions.
Spreading the expense over time is the biggest reason for me.
Lots of BBB's have decent frames, but low quality components, which is how they keep the cost down.
Take our Denali's for instance. Definitely not a high end, light weight racing frame, but a damn good starting point for a rugged/reliable commuter/exercise/pleasure bike.
For my type of riding, I have no problem with the 30lb weight of the Denali, so I'm just replacing parts that give me trouble. So far just the rear derailleur that was floppy as all hell from day one, and I was afraid that it was gonna catch on the spokes eventually.
And as we've already talked about, the brake pads. I just ordered $40 brake pads for a bike that I paid $180 for. Some may see that as silly, but I'm just trying to build a reliable/safe bike.

Just my opinion.
jasnooks

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:05 am

Your simply buying a frame from the onset and if its good then a 500 dollar investment is well worth it.
Purple Haze

Postby lurker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:21 pm

jasnooks wrote:Spreading the expense over time is the biggest reason for me.
Lots of BBB's have decent frames, but low quality components, which is how they keep the cost down.
Just my opinion.

Purple Haze wrote:if its good then a 500 dollar investment

i'm not really unhappy about the components. true, i have some tucked away from the old days, center-pull calipers, open-cage rear derailleur, mafac, huret, that sort of thing, which i assume to be better quality, and may eventually swap on just because or if the newer cheaper ones give out. but i'm going over it with a magnet looking for steel which i'm thinking of replacing with aluminum over time simply to lighten it up, because lightness is what i heard 35 years ago makes a fast bike. and yeah, maybe to subtly thumb my nose at the expensive bike snobs. am i chasing unicorns? not really sure i want $500 (or 700) in a bicycle, i might be happy with another $100 worth of fork and crank on my $180 denali. i'm so confused. is there therapy for this?
lurker

Postby orvil » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:55 pm

The best therapy is to get out and ride! When I bought my Deception I couldn’t really see spending a lot on a bike at that moment but did want a bike that could be upgraded in the future and as parts wore out that’s exactly what I did. I probably have around $800 in it now but it now has better components than a stock $800 bike. It’s probably 7 lbs lighter and much more dependable on my trails plus it’s exactly like I want it. That, to me, is the best way to upgrade.
orvil

Postby jasnooks » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 pm

orvil wrote:The best therapy is to get out and ride! When I bought my Deception I couldn’t really see spending a lot on a bike at that moment but did want a bike that could be upgraded in the future and as parts wore out that’s exactly what I did. I probably have around $800 in it now but it now has better components than a stock $800 bike. It’s probably 7 lbs lighter and much more dependable on my trails plus it’s exactly like I want it. That, to me, is the best way to upgrade.
+1
jasnooks

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:41 am

Chain reaction is giving sale prices that are pretty hard to beat anywhere. Check em out.
Purple Haze

Postby lurker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:12 am

Purple Haze wrote:Chain reaction is giving sale prices that are pretty hard to beat anywhere. Check em out.

in the last couple of days i've looked at 6 or 8 websites trying to get a feel for what's out there and how much it costs. maybe ChaRea, don't remember. i do this with everything, cars, cameras, computers, firearms, you name it. do your homework. and i am a cheap S.O.B., so price matters. but it's not everything. i remember the days when if a thing was chinese it MUST be junk. i like to touch/see a product before i buy. i realize that's old school, and neither always necessary nor possible. if i can find the parts locally without too much markup, i'll do that. but i appreciate the heads-up, thank you very much, i'll have a look.

just out of curiosity, what's your interest in all this? do you just like bikes, are you a builder, or do you work in the import business? you seem to be very aware of the business side of bike parts.
oh, and are you a swiss national? i find the military obligation thing very interesting.

admin and OP, if this is the wrong place for this, let me know and i'll start my own threads.
lurker

PreviousNext

Return to Chinese Bikes Direct