Buying Direct isn't for everyone....

For those who want (or need) to go to the source. Most frames and a lot of the components on bicycles sold all around the world are made in China. If you understand what you're doing, you can get an awesome deal. This is for you.

Buying Direct isn't for everyone....

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:52 am

Let's face it, virtually all the bikes sold in your Local Bike Shop (LBS) are made in China. Even the majority of the "custom" frames you see advertised for thousands of dollars are made in China; although, admittedly, to the designer's order (tubing specs, angles, etc.). So why not just go to the source?

If you know what you're doing, that is a valid option. But it you don't know what you're doing, ordering over the Internet with no idea of how it will fit you can be a disaster.

This forum is for discussions and advice about going outside the box...
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: Buying Direct isn't for everyone....

Postby bikesRfun » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:09 am

Excellent idea. A category for cheap Chinese bikes from Amazon or eBay or AliExpress.
bikesRfun

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Online sales are a ever increasing market that gives us as bike enthusiast a opportunity to really explore what the rest of the world has to offer as competent machines that for more or less do exactly the same task for less money. I realize this is a sensitive subject to some who view direct marketing of name brands that few outside of the Asian market are familiar with, but there in lies the truth to this industry. Most everything is outsourced to a Chinese manufacturer nowadays. If you can look past a name brand then you know its strictly about what can a bike actually do on the trail or the road that really matters. WA Desert is correct in stating that if you know what you want and you know what to look for then there are deals out there that for me are impossible to beat period. I intend on discussing and giving insight to having competent bikes and components for less and that's all. Now lets all contribute to a database that I believe is not only the future, but is the present state of the cycling industry especially here in Europe and its growing exponentially.
Purple Haze

Postby lurker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:30 pm

i don't much mind paying a fraction more to buy from a local vendor. there are a couple of advantages, it employs my neighbor, it allows me to (sometimes) fondle a part before i buy, and i get to ask stupid questions. if it's too large a fraction, yes, i mind and will go online. i guess this is an admission that i don't really know what i'm doing.
lurker

Postby orvil » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm

I actually do the same although I buy far more online. Like you, I like to keep a relationship with local shops as well so I’ll buy a few things from them even though I know I can buy it cheaper online.
orvil

Return to Chinese Bikes Direct