best moderately priced 24" boys rigid fork mtn bike?

Everything from pink Barbie Bikes to cute boys' bikes.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

best moderately priced 24" boys rigid fork mtn bike?

Postby scoutdog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:31 am

Hi, everyone. Any recommendations on the best cheaper-to-moderate 24" boys bikes with 7 - 21 gears and no front suspension?

My 8-year-old (9 this coming summer) is almost too big for a 24", but not quite big enough for a small adult bike. So I don't want to pay for a new Trek (or similar) 24" bike. I'm also leery of paying $100+ for a used Trek-type brand on Craigslist just in case it turns out it needs another $100+ in work. So since it will only fit him for 1 year (2 tops), I'm thinking brand new less expensive (big box) 24" bike or used big box bike really cheap. So far, it appears most of the big box boys bikes come with front suspension, which I'd rather not have. Any advice? Huffy has one without front suspension, but I think its 37 lbs - which seems heavy. We have a Dick's Sporting Goods about 30 minutes away. Any advice on them - they have DBX and Diamondback. Does Dick's actually do a better job with their builds than say, Target? I've also seen Mantis online - are they better than Huffy & Roadmaster? I'll check at Scheels again - sometimes they have Columbia kids bikes. Diamondback appears to be more on the low end of the more expensive bikes - and maybe really isn't a Big Box bike. Would anyone concur with that? Are there other brands similarly priced to Diamondback? Sorry for the rambling - back to the hardtail question - does anyone have any direct experience with the Huffy Granite 24"?
scoutdog

Re: best moderately priced 24" boys rigid fork mtn bike?

Postby junkyarddog » Sun May 11, 2014 12:25 pm

I think magna makes the kind of bike you are looking for... I had an older model called hijinx... far as I know they still make a rigid 24" mountain bike
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby junkyarddog » Sun May 11, 2014 12:49 pm

glacier point is the name of their rigid bike
junkyarddog

Postby junkyarddog » Mon May 19, 2014 6:54 pm

I was at my local fred meyers and saw a 24" and 26" rigid fork mountain bikes... the name above is wrong.... I forgot what they call them now
junkyarddog

Return to Kids Bikes