My next project, son's bike!!!

Everything from pink Barbie Bikes to cute boys' bikes.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

My next project, son's bike!!!

Postby tigris99 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:27 am

So being the kinda Dad I am, decided my son's bike needs to be brought up to standard!!!

Yes its another Trek, BUT I got it for $20 on craigslist!!!! Ya you read that right, ppl didnt know what they had it was a gift for their son that relatives bought who out grew it!!! $300ish new (new versions don't look much different besides forks). Needed SERIOUS TLC when I got it.

Boy wanted a MTB for his bday, I told him if he was off training wheels I would get him one. He turned 6 last summer when I got this. We rode a few miles every ride, max ride was 12 mile ON HIS TRAINING WHEELS on a transformers 16", was a 1/2day ride for a 5 yr old lol but he did it with nothing but smiles.

Heres pic from Lock n Dam 13, the point we turned around, I have the MapMyRide data that was with this pic to show off to everyone I knew that day:

The day I took them off, we rode 4 miles with them on then went to park where there was a basketball court. I took them off. Went over with him the things to do and not to one last time, then told him to GO! He took off like hed been riding without them for months! This was a couple weeks before his bday.

I started looking, a few bikes looked cool but was having issues. When it comes to my boy I dont like to buy cheap if its something important to him... bad like that. Found a couple good ones for around $100. Was about to order my choice when this bike popped up on craigslist. I was gone on the 45min drive like a SHOT!!!

Got it home started tearing down to see what I needed, grabbed the couple parts from lbs and such. Next weekend was my weekend with him (few days before bday) and I couldnt resist. He helped me get it going again and was great about knowing he couldnt ride it till his b-day.
Did awesome on rides, rode 18miles with me one day, have to find gps map, paved Great river path between fulton and thomson Illinois, we live in fulton, rode to LBS in thomson and back.

Coem october was "Take my kid MTBing Day" which the club we joined that day was hosting. He did insane, freaking took off with the couple kids and lead adult left me way behind. Barely 2 months off his training wheels:

Now I get bugged constantly about riding, took him to those same trails a couple times before it got too cold, I promised him anytime he wasnt in school that I go to those trails when its warm enough I will bring his bike and pick him up on the way. That location is very easy, any ups or downs are very short, sometimes steep but really short. Great for him to learn cause area is small overall and technical areas have bypasses. When hes ready I told him he can ride with me on the next trail set thats much longer loops but still very easy lvl riding.
tigris99

Re: My next project, son's bike!!!

Postby tigris99 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 am

Now that theres the backround (yes Im a very proud father even though his mother is a psycotic Bi***). Thankfully my wife has been around since my son was 6 months old so he like her own so she is just as involved and supportive of everything as I am, doesnt even gripe when I spend more than i should on him, she does it too :p

Now he's asked about a new bike cause his is really worn looking. It had a rough previous life... SO Im going to give him the next best thing since the new version of the bike looks the same (Trek MT60). Im going to redo much of it. Hard to tell in pic but its scratch, chipped, faded, etc. Nothing serious just cosmetic and outdated forks.

Heres the plan:

Forks nothing fancy its only a 20" he'll out grow in a couple more years but has 40mm travel!!!:

Switching to 7speed on trigger (have the freewheel and new X3 trigger on the way, be here tomorrow). Probably get a new derailleur too cause this one is beat to hell and not holding adjustment so great anymore. Probably replace inner cables while im at it.

The V brakes on my Saber (Acera) will go on it.

Seat post and seat too, right now he had my Original seat off my Saber cause seat was trashed on it.

And BIGGEST THING, going to repaint it. Last time I had him at the Trek shop with me he really liked this but I swore it had disc not v-brakes:

Thought about painting it to match mine BUT he really liked that MT240 but I plan to ask him which color he likes better, My silver marlin or all white. Plan is to get either the decal set for the 240 and get decals over the MT240 writing to MT60 or go have a decal set made.

Also, IF he wants it white, then I have a use for my over cut Origin 8 bars, they are perfect length lol, just check it when I was out there..... see there was a reason for my screw up, new bars for the boy!!!

Dont plan on letting him know whats going on. Going to get all the parts (except trigger set up, thatll be done now cause hes been waiting for it) and while hes at his moms during the week when im ready, going to redo the whole bike at once, then show up to pick him up to go ride with the new bike next to mine.
Last edited by tigris99 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
tigris99

Postby tigris99 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Ordering these for his bike next week. Next weeks weather is going to melt all our snow and temps on weekend will be warm enough for him to be able to ride again. So gotta keep him from getting completely soaked lol.

tigris99

Postby tigris99 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 pm

So trigger shifter arrived yesturday!!! 7 speed freewheel will be here next week. Hes going to go nuts to see new grips, shifter and 7speed on that thing hehe.

Ok so I cancelled order for freewheel hub before it went out cause I wasnt thinking (good thing ordering from Amazon on the weekend) my wheels are coming off the saber and I have that same freewheel on it right now (8speed stock unit was SHIT) so Ill just put it on. Already fully greased well and everything. Saved $12 there lol.
tigris99

Postby tigris99 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:58 am

So havent gotten to do much, been outta funds and busy but finally got his 7 speed conversion done, full working 7 speed now! In the process of that since freewheel had to be changed gave me a chance to check bearings which were a bit growly and really tight. The grease in them was OLD, almost like glue, had to clean that out and the bearings, put new grease in and everything, he'll notice it alot hehe cause it was BAD. Replaced his BB cartridge bearing set up to sealed BB.

Final things which I did earlier in the week, got a bar mount and bottle cage with good water bottle (insulated Polar like mine just smaller), and got his headlight mount put on, gotta fix the Nebo light cause stupid plastic mount tab broke.

Next up is getting it painted and new decals made. Oh and possibly new derailleur, not sure yet. I have a Shimano Mid-cage off my Saber but then gotta buy new shifter or get him a $40 derailleur thats mid cage.... $30 for shifter or $40 for derailleur...

Ill post pics tomorrow.
tigris99

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 am

AWESOME BIKE! Lucky kid, too.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby tigris99 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:08 pm

OK price and availablity decided his driveline for me. Shimano trigger 7 speed. The new shifter from LBS was $15, 5-10 cheaper than I could find it. Going to use the Altus derailleur off my saber since its the correct size and be good to go.

Picking up paint next week and geting the decals made, got till the 14th of April to get this finished cause first club race is then and they have a kids race mid day and he really wants to be in it, and I promised he could. So wanna made sure hes got a bike thats all set just for him. Oh and gotta get new bashgaurds, getting him a dual set from BBG (boy decided he liked white/black/blue instead of white/black/red) to replace cheezy plastic thing for his now 1x7 set up.
tigris99

Return to Kids Bikes