Cheap premium Mongoose hartails on Amazon

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: Cheap premium Mongoose hartails on Amazon

Postby dddd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:25 pm

I saw the fork's CH-** part number in the listed spec's, that's Chin Haur (instead of HL or Hsin Lung).

Today I read an article that suggests another possible hint that the Mongoose parent company (Pacific Cycles) is perhaps finding itself cash-short these days.

Apparently, a major world pro cycling team (reputedly the "cleanest" pro cycling team, and with notable successes) just lost major sponsorship that had been expected from Cannondale, so the team is thus suddenly on the verge of financial collapse, with the team's prefix (first) name now up for sale. Quoted here from VeloNews, the bicycle racing newspaper:

"Quite suddenly, Cannondale-Drapac (racing team) is on the brink of collapse.

“We need $16M to have a good team. We are $7M short. And the first name is open.” team CEO Jonathan Vaughters told VeloNews on Saturday, indicating that the primary naming rights for the team are available."

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/08/news/ca ... eMuU8Fb.99

Seems to me that pulling team sponsorship is like surrendering the Cannondale name to a lower status than it has maintained for decades, since the SAECO team days and even before that.
I remember saying at the time, when Pacific ominously acquired Cannondale, that as long as they stayed in pro racing that the brand would not just turn into another diluted badge name like Schwinn. But now this. :o
I mean how do you support R&D efforts toward building high-end racing bikes without supporting a road team? Will they just rely on their engineering and design input from suppliers like Giant and Merida, like with Pacific's other road brands?
Other brands are struggling with inventory and falling orders for road and mountain bikes right now, so is Pacific perhaps holding out on spending for a while as they put together a cash offer on their next acquisition? We'll see soon enough I guess.
dddd

Postby dddd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:00 pm

WOW, here's the SUPA PLUS Sport model with 2.8" tires, wide rims and hydraulic disc brakes in the SMALL size only, for only $258 shipped:

https://www.fossilfool.com/product/mong ... 7-5-wheel/

The 6061 hydroformed frame has modern 69.5-degree steering geometry, tapered headtube/fork and 141QR boost spacing, not what you find at a bb store.
dddd

Postby metalman302 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Not sure what that fossil site is about, but it's the same price on Amazon, I'd rather just order it there. Well, depends on if you could save on tax from one or the other.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby dddd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Here you go, looks like the fossilsite is just a front end for amazon inventory. Amazon charges $2 more though.

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mens-Ty ... th=1&psc=1
dddd

Postby metalman302 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:53 am

First trail I tried with my wife that was any more than a smooth off road bike path she was complaining it was too bumpy (~2" rocks). If I didn't already have a bike for her I would definitely go for this. A 27+ is probably pretty comparable to rolling over obstacles to 29er Stat we already have.

Good to throw this out there as there's probably lurkers reading. Maybe they'll pick one up and start posting ;)
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:43 pm

These bikes are hard to beat on price.
Purple Haze

Previous

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes