Cheap premium Mongoose hartails on Amazon

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: Cheap premium Mongoose hartails on Amazon

Postby metalman302 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:37 am

This one has a Manitou air fork, large size only $457 Amazon prime

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mens-Ty ... 01LW6OZCK/
Last edited by metalman302 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby metalman302 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:39 am

This one has Raidon air fork and hydro brakes, $502 for small and large

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Meteore ... 01F4WKWKG/
Last edited by metalman302 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalman302

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:41 am

Those are raidon and not as good as epixons but the frame is spot on without a doubt and could be 7005.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:41 am

This story keeps getting deeper with the prices for these hardtails and the Raleigh Tokul is in this price range also for 330. The information is coming from the KEVCENTRAL video and one of the commenters. Apparently you can order directly from the parent companies website with a corporate code and a whole lot of these bikes prices drop by hundreds of dollars. Metalman302 is the one responsible for me finding this information out.
Purple Haze

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:17 am

I'd sure love to spring for a fs Mongoose Teocali 8-) Some of those are half off too.
metalman302

Postby dddd » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Since these Amazon Mongoose bikes are selling for so cheap, it sounds like the retail channel for Mongoos'es upscale bikes is not performing well, at least not to their expectations, though mst bike companies are having inventory issues these past few years.
Also, since Mongoose's parent company, Pacific, has been in the business of buying out failed competitors, all the more reason for them to over-inventory themselves, so as to "dump" product to the demise of their struggling competitors, making them attractive buy-out targets.

It looks like Mongoose sold large batches of bikes to Amazon, since these are bought and shipped directly from Amazon according to the product pages.

The Chin Haur fork on the cheaper model is from a prolific OEM maker of generic parts, some of which have been highly problematic (as in broken bb spindles), and we are talking about forks here! BikesDirect supposedly suffered the wrath of customers whose bottom brackets broke, allegedly dumping the riders on the ground.

There are geometry charts on these Tyax bikes, some have modern geometry with relaxed 69.5-degree headtube angle and 2cm-longer toptube. I found a decent one in medium size with XCR fork for the updated price of $540 or so, no longer $360!

So many riders looking for cheap F/S bikes leaves the market for hardtails a little flat, but PLUS tires do a lot to smooth that ride!!! So I think that modest PLUS-sized tires should remain alive and well with the hard-tail riding crowd.

I found myself in a group of five other riders the other day while riding my semi-PLUS Huffy along the fast and rock-strewn downstream Confluence Trail along the American river. There were two riders who managed to pass and gap me without too much apparent effort along the route, but by the end there were two riders who had flatted in their attempts to hold the pace (including one of the guys who passed me). I (on my Huffy) survived it with air still in my tubed tires, and was on the cheapest bike by far, and the only hard-tail out of the six bikes. Conditions were dry, rocky, loose-over-hardpack, and thus slippery. I rode with 23psi in my tires. I've gotta stop beating this bike so hard, I thought my tires got lucky.

dddd

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:44 pm

I threw an angle finder on the Huffy and saw 70.5. you can always extend that epixon to 120mm if you want to slack it another degree.
metalman302

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:49 pm

I don't think the tyax pro was ever in the $300 range. It was one of the 27.5+ expert that was that cheap.

These smalls would make a great bike for the wife.
metalman302

Postby dddd » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:20 pm

metalman302 wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mens-Tyax-Sport-Wheel/dp/B01LW0AHBN/

Zoom forks come with lockout now I guess

Hydraulic lockout usually implies that the fork has a hydraulic damping cartridge already.

I just noticed that this bike's Zoom fork is made by Chin Haur (CH) instead of the usual supplier Hsin Lung (HL).

Zoom has been on of the better bbb fork brands, one step below the entry-level Suntour forks in most cases, and Hsin Lung is a quite-reputable maker of OEM stems and seatposts found even on high-quality bikes.

And I hadn't heard of Chin Haur making forks of any kind until now, but different Chinese brands sometimes are coming from the same factory.
dddd

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:33 pm

How did you find who made either Zooms?
metalman302

PreviousNext

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes