Fork upgrade recombination for Ledge 2.1

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Fork upgrade recombination for Ledge 2.1

Postby ItsJustJoe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Just got a black and green Mongoose Ledge 2.1, and I'm planning on upgrading it here and there. First upgrade I'm planning is a fork. Apparently there aren't many ECONOMICAL options for it since it has a 1" steerer tube. I've found a suntour CR -9. Does anyone have any experience with these? Orvil also recommended RST. I thought I saw a Rockshox without a steerer as well but can't find it again. Thanks!
ItsJustJoe

Re: Fork upgrade recombination for Ledge 2.1

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:19 am

Orvil is right on this subject,i only found a RST GILA that will give the option of steerer size.1 inch forks are hard to come by in any size in 2017.The cr9 is worse than what came with the bike.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:32 am

Bike 24.de is the website.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 am

Look for fork springs.By changing out the springs you can get a much more capable bike.
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:42 am

The CR9 fork has decent features for an inexpensive fork (fixed oil-damping, with lockout), but is not long enough for the Ledge 2.1.

I tried putting stiffer springs in my own Zoom Element fork, but the inside diameter of the tubes was too small to fit the springs I had taken from a Rockshox with the same 28mm OD upper tubes.

Good luck finding stiffer springs or a suitable 27.5" RST fork. The stock Ledge 2.1 fork has the same configuration as the one on my Hondo, which at least lent itself to fitting a pair of old fork boots after I gave the fork a much-needed cleaning out and re-lube. You can tell from the picture that I didn't add an air-vent hole to the boots, so they "grab" the upper tubes a bit, which added a noticeable damping effect that stopped them topping out at higher speeds!

Also, the Ledge 2.1 front V-brake can't twist the all-steel fork the way that a disc caliper does, so it won't be so dangerous going downhill when you might occasionally need to "stab" the front brake to control speed between gnarly trail features.

dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:59 am

dddd,suntour cr9 is a street fork and 700c.The width is narrower than even cheap mountain bike forks.This is too difficult to find a replacement for and I have no idea where else to look.Seth took his on the trails and had to flat drop the bike 100 times before it broke to prove his point.I don't think you will have any problems with your bike stock.All bikes break by the way if you watched his video and the fork did not break.
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm

I have no idea where the breaking point lies with these bikes, I've seen a few cracked headtubes though only on the aluminum frames. Usually a split starts at the bottom front of the headtube and grows upward from there.

The CR9 fork is short like I mentioned, it has very little travel but is rated for a very wide tire, 3" (77 or 79mm if I recall)!
dddd

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes