Huffy or Schwinn?

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Huffy or Schwinn?

Postby Millmaster65 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 am

What should I buy for the best value? A Huffy TR-745 for $331 or a Schwinn Boundry 29 for $200. I am 6' tall and don't always ride off-road but want to be ready. Oh yeah I weigh about 300lbs, that is why I need to ride.
Millmaster65

Re: Huffy or Schwinn?

Postby dddd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:33 pm

I think that with the Schwinn having a welded-steel fork, you may find it to be flexy when you apply the front brake hard and the wheel self-steers to the left.

A 27.5" wheel might be stronger and less flexy than a 29" wheel, but the rims on my Huffy TR-745 were pretty narrow and so might not be up to supporting heavy loads. I put time into getting the spokes more evenly tensioned to a high value, but the rims seemed to have been made lumpy, it required some unevenness in the spoke tension to make them run perfectly true.

The Schwinn uses a freewheel-type rear hub and so will bend axles quite easily for a heavier rider.
It might come down to getting a stronger wheel or wheels for either one of these bikes, and stiffer fork springs are available for the Huffy's Suntour fork, though I guess that you have some time to test either bike out before your return privilege expires.
dddd

Postby Millmaster65 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:10 am

Thank you, for the reply. This is a great forum. I guess I would not get away without modifications being done. The Schwinn at $200 + a fork upgrade seems​ less than $331 for the Huffy + wheel upgrades. Which bike has the better crankset?
Millmaster65

Postby dddd » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:10 pm

My Huffy's crankset has been very good. Shifting is good with this crankset and the whole assembly is durable, except for the bottom bracket which I replaced.

The Schwinn is the one with perhaps the bigger wheel issue, the rear hub has an over-hanging "freewheel style" axle that is hidden by the freewheel itself, but will be prone to bending easily with a big rider. The Huffy rear wheel uses a freehub+cassette, the axle is well supported with minimal over-hang, so is very strong.

Wheels and fork springs will be the limiting factors I would think. The saddle-tilt clamp could also prove weak if the saddle itself is positioned at all rearward along it's horizontal sliding adjustment range. Those nuts under the saddle also need to be good and tight.

The Schwinn is probably the bigger bike, good for 6'+ I'm sure. I'm 5'9" with long legs and I like the Huffy, size-wise. I changed to a shorter 8cm stem with the stock handlebar. The stock handlebar itself is aluminum and seems very strong and stiff.
dddd

Postby Millmaster65 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks again for the reply. I ordered the Huffy, hope to see it Saturday.
Millmaster65

Postby metalman302 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:19 pm

I looked at the Boundary in the store and from what I could tell the BB is sealed. Not so on the Huffy.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby Biggin76 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Nothing wrong with the wheels on the huffy, double wall alloy... when I started writing mine I was 330 pounds and they're still going strong and we take them to the trails as often as possible and the trail has good features
Biggin76

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes