Mongoose Terrex Questions

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Mongoose Terrex Questions

Postby 2TrakMind » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:59 pm

I just bought a barely used Terrex and am performing some basic maintenance on it before I start riding. I was wondering if anyone knew if the bottom bracket on these things is sealed, or if I'll need to grease the bearings. Any suggestions or known issues with these bikes that I can be aware of? Thanks!
2TrakMind

Re: Mongoose Terrex Questions

Postby orvil » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:02 pm

I'm 99% sure its an unsealed, loose cup/balls bottom bracket. Replacing it should be one of your first priorities or you'll be taking it apart and regreasing every time you ride in the rain or snow or thru water. I don't know your spindle length but you can replace it with a sealed Shimano BB for $15-$20 plus labor if you take it to a bike shop. You'll be glad you did.
orvil

Postby dddd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 am

I'll second what Orvil said.

The stock bottom bracket wears so fast even in good conditions that I had to re-adjust it every other ride.

A shimano 118mm cartridge bb fits and works perfectly, needs no maintenance and is cheap.
dddd

Postby dddd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:08 am

I should have said to measure your original bottom bracket spindle length first, not including any threaded studs at each end if there are any.

I remember that I replaced my crankset at some point and don't now remember if I used the 118mm bottom bracket with the stock all-steel crankset!

Sorry for this confusion on my part. A right-side fixed-cup spacer can be added later as needed if the bottom bracket you use comes up a little short.
dddd

Postby 2TrakMind » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Thank you for the responses! I'm trying to prioritize which components to upgrade. Sounds like it may be wise to start here.
2TrakMind

Postby jasnooks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:32 am

What type of riding are you doing?
jasnooks

Postby 2TrakMind » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:11 pm

I have a lot of single track MTB trails nearby. Therected is a wide variety of terrain, but not terribly technical.
2TrakMind

Postby 2TrakMind » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:13 pm

I found these on Amazon. Looks like it might be a decent solution for replacing the bottom bracket bearings. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CK0E ... FU97JFZL7F
2TrakMind

Postby orvil » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:43 pm

You could use that set of bearings but we still say a Shimano Cartridge unit is a MUCH better solution. It will be completely sealed and any water penetration through the threads will be unable to get to the bearings. You can remove your crank arms and measure your spindle length, minus the length of any threaded studs if that's the type of spindle you now have, and get the exact replacement. You may need a tool to remove the crank arms and you will need a splined Shimano BB tool to install the new BB. You can purchase all these through your LBS or use an online retailer like Jenson USA or Blue Sky Cycling. The BB will be $15-$20, the crank arm removal tool and the splined BB tool will also be around $20 each. If you purchase the tools you will always have them for any more service or replacement later. Or you could have the LBS do the work for you if you buy the Shimano BB from them. The bearings are completely sealed in these cartridge units and you will never have to adjust them; just install and forget it.
orvil

Postby 2TrakMind » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:51 am

I see your point. If I'm going to tear it apart and replace it, I might as well do it "right" the first time. Thanks for the great insight.
2TrakMind

Next

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes