Mongoose Terrex Questions

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: Mongoose Terrex Questions

Postby 2TrakMind » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:49 am

You are a wealth of information. Thank you!
2TrakMind

Postby ninjamunky » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:51 pm

New member here with a few questions.

I bought a Mongoose Terrex last year and have done a few upgrades. I like the bike, but I'd like to make it better. Almost right away I changed the pedals, shifters, bars, brake levers, and ended up replacing the front brake rotor and pads.

I'd really like to replace the fork, but don't know what will fit. I'm guessing I should go with a 29'er fork with the widest clearance I can get. BTW I put a wider front tire on the bike too, a WTB tire that is 3.0 in wide.

I'd also like to upgrade the drivetrain, don't need the higher gears when riding off road so something with only one or two sprockets in the front would probably be better.

Here is my bike, any help would be appreciated.

ninjamunky

Postby dddd » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:06 pm

I bought the Mongoose Hondo from Kmart, it's the same bike as your Terrex except for a slightly different version of the Element fork and with a 6" front brake rotor (yours has an 8" front rotor).
Anyway, That fat tire may still be usable on your rear wheel, there is a little more clearance in back. I found a discarded Maxxis Icon tire in the 2.8" size, which would at least fit in a 29er Suntour fork using your super-wide front rim. Those rims make it hard to get a tubeless tire seated evenly all the way around, even if you are using tubes. I had to lubricate the beads and inflate to at least 50psi in order to get the tire seated evenly, so any trail-side repair will leave you riding home on a tire with a hop to it.
The Suntour and Fox forks have decent clearance for wide tires. I used the Terrex/Hondo wheels on my Huffy TR-745, and the Suntour Epicon was the only good fork that I could afford, and with a straight 1-1/8" steer tube and with 9mm quick-release dropouts. I don't think that the 3" tire will ever fit in a normal fork with the Terrex's 57mm-wide rims though.
I used the WTB Vigilante tires in the 2.3" width on my wide rims, these tires are quite a bit fatter than most 2.3" tires, more like other brands 2.5" tires.
They fit in the Suntour 27.5" Epicon fork that I put on the Huffy, with just enough clearance on top and at the sides.
I also replaced the fast-wearing bottom bracket and steel crankarms on my Hondo, and used Shimano 8s chain. These bikes have the low-budget 141mm QR style rear axle width standard, so upgrading the wheels will be a little tricky. I replaced the rear axle, cones and nuts to use a thicker 10mm, solid rear axle, and also re-spaced the rear axle to move the freewheel a little closer to the right-side dropout, just to make the axle more resistant to bending or breaking.
That was a big effort to get done and required a couple of test-fits and spacing tweaks as well as re-dishing the rim toward the left side.

dddd

Postby ninjamunky » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:35 pm

dddd wrote:I bought the Mongoose Hondo from Kmart, it's the same bike as your Terrex except for a slightly different version of the Element fork and with a 6" front brake rotor (yours has an 8" front rotor).
Anyway, That fat tire may still be usable on your rear wheel, there is a little more clearance in back. I found a discarded Maxxis Icon tire in the 2.8" size, which would at least fit in a 29er Suntour fork using your super-wide front rim. Those rims make it hard to get a tubeless tire seated evenly all the way around, even if you are using tubes. I had to lubricate the beads and inflate to at least 50psi in order to get the tire seated evenly, so any trail-side repair will leave you riding home on a tire with a hop to it.
The Suntour and Fox forks have decent clearance for wide tires. I used the Terrex/Hondo wheels on my Huffy TR-745, and the Suntour Epicon was the only good fork that I could afford, and with a straight 1-1/8" steer tube and with 9mm quick-release dropouts. I don't think that the 3" tire will ever fit in a normal fork with the Terrex's 57mm-wide rims though.
I used the WTB Vigilante tires in the 2.3" width on my wide rims, these tires are quite a bit fatter than most 2.3" tires, more like other brands 2.5" tires.
They fit in the Suntour 27.5" Epicon fork that I put on the Huffy, with just enough clearance on top and at the sides.
I also replaced the fast-wearing bottom bracket and steel crankarms on my Hondo, and used Shimano 8s chain. These bikes have the low-budget 141mm QR style rear axle width standard, so upgrading the wheels will be a little tricky. I replaced the rear axle, cones and nuts to use a thicker 10mm, solid rear axle, and also re-spaced the rear axle to move the freewheel a little closer to the right-side dropout, just to make the axle more resistant to bending or breaking.
That was a big effort to get done and required a couple of test-fits and spacing tweaks as well as re-dishing the rim toward the left side.

Thanks for the help dddd. I've ridden the bike more on the local trails this year and have decided that I'm too into off road riding to put any more money into the Terrex. Even with an upgraded fork, improved drivetrain, and hydro disc brakes I'd still be stuck with the very heavy steel frame and wheels that I'm assuming area also heavy and probably ones that no one has attempted to convert to tubeless.

I've found a previous year model Specialized Camber on sale at a lbs for $1400. It's not a hardtail or a 27.5+ but I think it will serve me much better on the local trails that are quite rocky and rooty. A far cry from a bbb but probably much better money spent.

I do like the looks of that Huffy 745 that you have though. :D
ninjamunky

Postby dddd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks for that compliment ninjamunky. I can see how it just gets old having to heave the 45lb Terrex onto your transport rack. I've got enough arthritis in my shoulders where lifting the bike over trail barriers (meant to keep motorbikes out) causes pain, though lucky for me my arthritis isn't the kind that damages bones, and that actually is relieved by putting in hours of riding. It's not all bad having an excuse to ride more!
dddd

Previous

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes