Which 27.5x3 bike?

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Which 27.5x3 bike?

Postby NYMXer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm in the market for a plus bike, preferably a 27.5 wheel. Has anyone bought one or have input for me? This will be just for casual gravel road/trail rides and maybe see a little snow rides too.
I looked at the Huffy Fortress but it looks like a heavy poor quality bike, even at $99. The Huffy Warhawk looks better but cost twice as much. Then there is the Volt but I don't need rear suspension on this bike.
Thanks for any suggestions.
NYMXer

Re: Which 27.5x3 bike?

Postby NYMXer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Come one people, someone must have some input...... I don't want to end up with a POS, but so far, I am leaning towards the Warhawk at $199 from Walmart.

Does anyone have a similar suggestion, any brand and any store.

Thanks
NYMXer

Postby dddd » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:44 am

Have you checked out the Huffy Vantage 3.0?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-Men-s- ... e/48444601

It's a bigger version of the Fortress, and I like that it has more middle-width rims that will take a variety of excellent inexpensive tires versus 26" or 29" mid-fat bikes.

If you are not wedded to the benefits versus problems that come with disc brakes, then this is the best deal around on a 27.5 mid-fat bike.
V-brakes can work very well if you put some effort/knowledge toward a good setup and keep the rims from getting dinged.

I would replace the chain and be sure to put some kind of protective boots on this bike's fork before going riding in the dirt, and also might replace the rear derailer with one of Shimano's better ones.
But at least it comes stock with alloy crankarms and shifters that work, versus the parts that come on the Hondo/Terrex. It also costs a LOT less, which could go toward a fork upgrade.

I would take this over the Hondo myself, and I'm a Hondo owner!
dddd

Postby NYMXer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks dddd, that was the kind of advice I was looking to get. I will take a look at the Vantage on the Walmart site after dinner. I took a very quick look from the link you provided and it looks a lot like my GS29. I wonder if it is the same frame as I always thought the GS29 could fit 3" tires in width but not at a 29" height.
If it is the same basic frame, then I know what I am getting. The GS29 is a good bike for the money but needs lower gearing to be a real Mtb.
NYMXer

Postby Wolfgaurd1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:19 pm

The shifters are crap on the terex but you can but a good set of shimano trigger shifters from walmart.com for cheap, I have tried both bikes I had the hondo first and it felt really cheap to me. The terrex felt more better to me although they are not shop bikes the terrex was a better fit for me. I fix my nephew's huffys all the time, replacing parts and removing rust. In closing they are both at walmart and are both cheap I chose the terrex for larger front disc brake(180mm), thicker front fork, and less bouncy wheels. I won't tell you which one is better, it all comes down to what you like and need out of your new bike.
Good luck with your choice.
Wolfgaurd1

Postby dddd » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:55 am

The Shimano EZ-Fire shifters are available in 7s and 8s versions at a very good price, especially considering that they include nice V-brake levers built onto them.
They also solve the brake-cable adjuster problems with most generic and plastic V-brake levers.

The Terrex has thicker 30mm fork tubes than even the similar Mongoose Hondo. It needs thicker fork legs than the Huffy Vantage because it uses a brake caliper mounted on the left fork leg so is bending the left leg rearward (turning the front wheel to the left) whenever the front brake is applied! That fork flex when braking hard was a real problem for me when riding my Hondo down steep, technical trails, so I will be upgrading it with the stock Suntour XCT fork from my Huffy TR-745 (which at least has one-piece alloy lowers so is much stiffer).

The original parts on my Hondo (Mongoose Terrex with a smaller front brake disc and skinnier fork) were poor enough that the only parts that remain on it are the wheels, brakes and headset.
Luckily I had a used-parts stash to pull from so was able to keep my upgrade costs low.
dddd

Postby NYMXer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:36 am

Any thoughts on the "Alder" by Mongoose? It has a Huffy/Kent look about it....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/54829141?wml ... ke&veh=sem
NYMXer

Postby dddd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 pm

The Alder is sold here only at Target, it's a Hondo/Terrex bike but with a rigid fork, which solves one of the "technical service issues" of those bikes while also being probably 3-4 pounds lighter and with lower production cost.
dddd

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes