Full Suspension vs Hard Tail for my wonky back?

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Full Suspension vs Hard Tail for my wonky back?

Postby WilliG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:33 am

Hi Everyone!

New to the forum. I'm 47 and rode BMX bike since the 1970's, both MX and Freestyle. I competed heavily in MA, and was ranked 10th in my class in the early 1980's. I never 100% stopped, as all three of my kids have big box freestyle bikes, but just very basic flatland tricks to make the neighbors look at me like I am insane (like sitting on the handlebars and riding backwards full speed down the street!). So I am pretty experienced in all things bicycles, except for modern mountain bikes (back then we only had 24" cruiser class BMX bikes).

That being said I have a borderline slipped disc in my lower back, that is slowly getting better with physical therapy. I was originally focusing on a hard tail model, however now that the back problem has started up I am begging to wonder if a full suspension is the better choice. Since I was 10yo I was all about "big air", so I know when I go downhilling I won't be able to resist the jumps for long. So, that brings in the rhetorical question that must come through here routinely: Full Suspension vs Hard Tail for my wonky back?

Thanks,
Willi
WilliG

Re: Full Suspension vs Hard Tail for my wonky back?

Postby WilliG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:36 am

BIG AIR! (Circa 1984 ftw!)

bike2-avatar.gif
bike2-avatar.gif (10.33 KiB) Viewed 654 times
WilliG

Postby ledfoot106 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:46 am

Well that's a simple one go full suspension. Now the real question 29er or 27.5 for me that decision would come down to how big of air or how aggressively I would be riding. Also what is the aftermarket support for the bike and crucially what is your budget. Narrowing these down will help us point you In the right direction.
ledfoot106

Postby WilliG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:21 am

I think I am going with a hard tail that has fattie tires. At lunch I test drove a few bikes at a local shop. I inadvertently ran over 2 stumps, and the 27.5" with fatties had plenty of cushion. I believe that this will give me the better price point and bang for the buck. The muscle memory came right back to me, and I had no problem compensating for the hard tail. I'm going to start going to a local Meetup.com group, that does technique get togethers at a state park in my area. I'll have lots of time, now that I am divorced. :shock:
WilliG

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:26 pm

My 2 cents.. :P
I had a back injury in 1994, it was in January, Physical therapy helped tremendously, but by summer, a hardtail mountain bike was more helpful than just about anything. I can't imagine pulling the extra weight and the loss of power to bobbing around on the rear suspension. I realize a lockout shock would eliminate a lot of power loss, but when your back is wrecked, you don't need anything that causes you any extra stress.. A hardtail is direct, behaves as expected, and usually moves the way you want it to. Injuring yourself further by being too aggressive is a whole other thing, but for me, the hardtail was the perfect way to get back out and on my way to recovery.
Tomcat65

Postby bikesRfun » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 am

I suggest a full suspension 27.5 with rebound adjustment.
The rear suspension takes the harshness off the bumps on the trail. Also good if you're doing jumps.
If that's too costly, I suggest a used full suspension 26er with from 5 to 6" of travel. They're cheap now that the market has left them for bigger wheels and they're more lively on the trail.
bikesRfun

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes