PNWB's Terrex 27.5

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: PNWB's Terrex 27.5

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:43 pm

Lol. That's okay. I should have noticed it was a little hard to see.

I've done some research, but they just talk about which normal 650b forks can take a 3" tire.
Falkon45

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:06 am

The Fox Float is the only one I've seen so far. It's been shown on the 27.5+ Scott Genius LT+ on the youTube channel GMBN
https://youtu.be/8YH9MUEdRO0
The bike and fork are made for the trail category and Neil does a convincing job of showing that the plus size bikes are VERY capable machines.
Though the Scott Genius is a super tricked out MTB, with top of the line components... It does illustrate that the plus size tires are worthy of consideration.

Fox is selling the year model 2016, 34 series trail fork, for around $875.00 through selected retailers for now, but I'm sure China will be making forks similar to these available on Alibaba and Ebay soon
Tomcat65

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:26 am

Thanks Tomcat!!!!

That price, though. Heck, I built my xr250 for less than that!!!

Well, I'll just wait then. But, there is a fork over been watching on pink bike for a while. Maybe it's still there and can fit the + size.
Falkon45

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:21 am

I saw what I think was this exact bike at Walmart near Marysville, WA the other day. I have a photo on my cell phone and I'll try to post it. Didn't check the weight but my wife wanted one! LOL

Grip shifters (which I don't mind). Mechanical disk brakes (easy swap to hydraulic). Probably needs a sealed bottom bracket and better pedals. And, of course, a new saddle. I didn't get it off it's slide-out WM rack so I don't know if the shock on the fork is decent or now. But it looks terrific. $225 I think.

Right next to it was a "Huffy" 29er fatbike for $249 with trigger shifters. Stood slightly higher. A single review on the WM website says it's too heavy (shipping wt 50lbs) but I can't speak to that. Looks nice. Big change from the Beast!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-29-Men- ... k/45291131

We've come a long way, big box bikes and us. :)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Steel frame 29er probably is not a good idea but more interesting than that is the setup because it looks like the first fat tire 29 dirt jumper I have ever seen period.The front end is raked in typical dirt jumper style.
Purple Haze

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Actually, a full steel 29er is a great idea. We have a thread on the warhawk in the 29er section. But, that one in particular will be heavy, just as the terrex will be, because of hi-ten steel, and not chromoly.

But they're stronger, and more easily repairable.
Falkon45

Postby Hank McMauser » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:10 am

They are pigs, mine scales out to just over 43# on the bathroom scale. Just the nature of the beast, until!some $$$$ get thrown at it. I won't expect ito ever weigh 29#, but below 40 is entirely possible.
Hank McMauser

Postby dddd » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:00 pm

I agree with Falkon45 about the rear derailer and the shifters both needing replacement, I replaced both with better used Shimano parts I had on the same day I brought it home.

Tomkat65, right about the brake levers, I replaced them at the same time, though the work I put into the cabling seemed to be what gave the brakes a snappy feel. I shortened housings and used GripShift cable grease, also replaced the front section of the rear brake housing with some Jagwire compressionless stuff. Thanks for the scoop on the Shimano-type brake pads! The calipers adjust from both sides independently by the way.
The large space between the spoke flange and the rear disc is partly because the frame spacing is an odd 140mm, like some tandem bikes used. If I replace the rear hub some day it will be a 135mm width, so I will have to bend the left chainstay inward 5mm in order to get the caliper to align with the disc.
At least the bottom bracket shell is a normal 68mm wide.

There are decent 27.5+ forks in the $4-500 range appearing on Ebay, but I greased up the stock Zoom/Element fork internals with Motorex Manitou PrepM suspension grease, and so will use the stock fork until some really good deal on a better fork comes along in a couple of years. The stock fork sort of warns you about riding these cheap bikes too far. I will have to get used to the topping-out knocking on the steep climbs, it does the fork no harm, just that the top-out bumper is a very firm polyurethane piece shaped like an hourglass.
Someone should check to see if the Hondo/Terrex Wheel/tire would fit in a standard 27.5" fork, but it would have to have standard old-fashioned dropouts and not a thru-axle.

I noticed the rear wheel on my new bike had a bent axle and the hubshell bearing race also had some freeplay, so I called Pacific customer service listed on the sticker and they offered me a new rear wheel shipped free to my house. Seems that some boxes get dropped on the way from China to the store.

My bike is a Hondo not Terrex-labeled bike so I got it at Kmart when it finally went on sale. Maybe someone at Kmart rode it off of the loading dock. :shock:
dddd

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:47 am

2.4's on a 29'er RST First fork. Because the 27.5+ size is closer to the diameter of a 29'er..
If there's room for a 27.5+ tire, I'd be a little surprised. But standard drop out 29'er forks are easy to find.
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:48 pm

It will be interesting to see how the different forks and tires manage clearance for the tread and the sidewall. Thanks for the photos of the 29er fork and 2.4" tire.
I will be using the original tires at 15psi until worn out, but by then I will be choosing from quite a few possible tire options. There is a lot more clearance in back and there is a really light Panaracer 3.5" knobby now available that isn't tubeless so sells for le$$.

I will be sticking with the stock fork since it would cost more than the whole bike to get a better one. I'm going to get rubber gaiters for the fork legs and slip them on the next time I have the fork apart for regreasing. It's so smooth with the Manitou grease in it and the fork's performance limitations are good for keeping my speed in check.

The hubs on these bikes are flimsy the way that the bearing cups press into the tubular hubshell, so really hard riding on this bike might not be a good idea. I finally put Red Loctite bearing retainer liquid into my damaged rear hubshell, just behind the right bearing cup that had it's press-fit loosened when the axle got bent during shipping. I sort of pressurized the hubshell (with axle removed of course) using the hot air blast from a hair drier to drive the Loctite into the crevices and heat-cure the product at the same time. I rode it last night for an hour and the rear hub never creaked like it did before, so it should be good for a while, maybe a long while. The 1/4" bearing balls at the rear axle are put into 7-ball retainers, so I replaced that with 9 loose balls on each side, held in place with heavy grease. That should distribute stress better and make life easier on the cup. I will try to buy just the axle, it's a long one, 3/8" dia and 185mm long, maybe go up to 10mm diameter solid axle if I have and can find the right cones from a quick-release (hollow axle) hub.

One thing about any fork upgrades, and there are now a few choices available, ...the steerer tube needs to be a straight 1-1/8" diameter, not a tapered steerer, to fit a Terrex or Hondo frame.
dddd

PreviousNext

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes