PNWB's Terrex 27.5

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

PNWB's Terrex 27.5

Postby PacificNWBuckeye » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:46 pm

I've never taken pics of a bike before, not sure what all to capture. It's been raining all day so no ride for now, plus I've found it does need some air in the tires and my old pump is hiding in the garage... Anyway here it goes.

PacificNWBuckeye

Re: PNWB's Terrex 27.5

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:40 pm

This bike isn't half bad. I was hoping it would come with a better tourney rear derailleur, but it looks like it didn't even come with that. Everything else looks as expected.

You got pictures of Missy of the important stuff. The pedals, shifters, crankset and front derailleur, and sometimes the stem and headset needs pictures.
Falkon45

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:00 pm

Hey... Look at those brakes again.. Those aren't the regular dime sized round Tektro style disc brake pads, are they? They look like Shimano XTR's
An upgrade in brake levers, like the Avid FR5's I use and a good cable set would be a great start to upgrade exactly what you have there.

The rear mech is puzzling to me as well, but those big drop out brackets are begging for an electric upgrade lol :D
A universal derailleur hanger and an upgrade to SLX or similar, maybe a SRAM set if you change shifters..

The crankset looks like it could use a standard external bearing bb with a single chainring set up.
And the rear hub looks like it has a wide gap between the brake disc and the spoke flange..

So, that would be my preliminary list, Brake levers, cables, rear derailleur and hanger (shifters?), Crankset. With 31.8 Handlebars and stem, seat, grips and bottle cage, Maybe a seatpost (dropper?)

Then a fork, wheelset and a 203mm disc upgrade :D

Amount of $$ possible to spend on this bike? unlimited
Just like all of the rest of our bikes lol

I like it! Thank you for sharing the pics! They're perfect.
Actually, I just got home, I stopped by and looked at this bike again this evening, My 3rd time sniffing around at it
Tomcat65

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:29 pm

You don't need a new derailleur hanger. It has the standard hanger built into the dropout. It'll take any non axle hanger derailleur you throw at it. My xr250 and blackcomb are made the same way. Most steel frame bikes don't have a replaceable hanger. But I agree with everything else that Tomcat said.
Falkon45

Postby cdamm » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:45 pm

nice!

just to echo some sentiment- i just bought a mongoose myself a month or so back and have begun to replace, well just about everything. My right side gear shifter completely stripped out within 20 miles. I replaced the gear shifters with sram x3 and the rear derailleur with an x4 (because they need to match). both parts are cheap on amazon. If you dont want to swap everything out, find some shimanos or something to throw on there- tread lightly with that stock shifter.

2 other points of cheap mongoose concern- seat is hard as hell and uncomfortable- cheap and easy to swap. also the resin pedals have a habit of cracking in half- so i would jump on those too. the rest you can pretty much leave stock if you want. but those 3 points were my first points of attack on my bike.

good luck with it!
cdamm

Postby PacificNWBuckeye » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks guys, not looking to get crazy with it, may swap out the shifters(not a fan of twist grips) and the pedals are definite replacement material. After the pedals I'm probably going to leave it mostly stock for abit until I get more into trails, going to start just on the street through the winter. I haven't really ridden much for years, got to get back into some assemblence of shape.
PacificNWBuckeye

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:59 pm

For pedals:
http://r.ebay.com/7HExYg

I have these on my stat and aluminum comp. I need to get more ride time on them, but I love them so far. Light, strong, no flex. I do wish the pins were a bit grippier, but I'm also wearing some very old new balance running shoes when I ride.

I do suggest that you do shifters and rear derailleur at the same time. You don't really need to change the front derailleur yet. That rear one will jam into a wheel when the terrain starts getting rough. I'm a big fan of SRAM (I've confessed this a lot) but the shimano altus line will suit your needs quite well. If you do decide to go with tourney, get the derailleur with the big red or big black jockey wheel. I have a few I'll give you if you want one. They're both used, but I'll never use them.

You'll need some new grips also. Origin8, Clark's, and SRAM have some that I love. But I haven't used a lot more than those.

I've been looking for forks, because I kinda want to get one of these, but can't really figure out if there's a 27.5/650b+ specific fork.
Falkon45

Postby cdamm » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:02 pm

Falkon45 wrote:I've been looking for forks, because I kinda want to get one of these, but can't really figure out if there's a 27.5/650b+ specific fork.

there is specific forks for 27.5 wheels. some can handle most sizes, but search for 650b compatible forks specifically.

also these are the pedals i got:

I love em- really grippy for my shoes- i never slip:

http://www.amazon.com/Redline-Lo-Profil ... ine+pedals
cdamm

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:27 pm

I know there are 650b specific forks. What I'm looking for is if there is a "+" specific fork. Same thing with 29er+.
Falkon45

Postby cdamm » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Falkon45 wrote:I know there are 650b specific forks. What I'm looking for is if there is a "+" specific fork. Same thing with 29er+.

ahhhh.. lol. totally missed that "+" there.. lol.

sadly i can't help you with that one.
cdamm

Next

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes