Just ordered my huffy elite tr 745

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: Just ordered my huffy elite tr 745

Postby dddd » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:55 am

"Don't lose the pin for adjustment and don't damage it whatsoever."

Do you mean the hex rod that the rebound knob slides on?

I recently had the rebound knob suddenly stop acting connected to the internal damping adjustment, so had to pull the knob off, then pull the hex rod out far enough to get the knob pushed onto the rod all the way.
When I pushed the rebound knob back in with the hex rod fully inserted in the rebound knob, the knob once again works fine to make actual adjustments.
Maybe all that I needed to do was to push the rebound knob in all the way, and that it would then be all the way onto the hex rod(?).
I am using this fork pretty hard, so maybe the knob can't stay retained fully in place while riding. I think there's just an O-ring holding it from sliding right out.
If I find any oil inside the legs then I'll know that I probably managed to overheat the cartridge.

AFAIK, the lockout function is inside of the damper cartridge, so you see no oil anywhere when the lowers get pulled off for cleaning/lubing.

The cartridge is considered a disposable service part, and mine would be upgradable to the US-spec Epicon cartridge if it ever fails, and if I can find out the part number for the exact cartridge that my fork uses.
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Nope sorry, its air side for lubrication. Its only ten mills but without it your air side wont seal. Your cartridge has a sticker and a number on it and i guarantee its real like mine was for the damper. Have you started taking it apart now? If you have and you want more travel then move that pin into the next hole after carefully tapping it out. My epicons have two holes above that little spring and i am sure yours has the same thing. The next hole is 120mm and then 140mm. I need to change my oil also and i will post the pictures in detail by Wednesday to better show you. Then see if the system is the same. Its not that complicated and only takes a little while but you want to wipe out all the dirt because it matters.
Purple Haze

Postby metalman302 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Took her out the other night and these junk JAK brakes have to go. The rear calipers pad adjuster was really loose in the hole for some reason. And they're both screeching like a MF. I know everyone loves BB7 but the quality of the cheap ones is questionable. And dddd was not the only one who said they're not silent. After dddd's feedback on the M375 as well as others that I read on Amazon that upgraded from JAK or Zoom, the M375 seem the way to go.
metalman302

Postby metalman302 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:17 pm

dddd wrote:I finally had enough with the weak, screechy, and grabby brake action front and rear, so yesterday I found different calipers for both wheels and installed them.

On the front, I installed a used Avid BB7 caliper that came with a box of used parts that I was given. It set up fine with the usual time spent getting it to grab the rotor without flexing the rotor visibly in any way when the lever was pulled. It seemed to break in quickly with the used pads on my used rotor, the noise was far, far less, the action felt much stronger and smoother as well. So this was quite worthwhile and I can ride the bike over tougher terrain now.

On the rear I installed a Shimano M375 caliper new out of the box, it's about $20 online which is about what a pair of good pads cost!
This caliper uses organic pads which so far are silent! I replaced this caliper after testing the Avid caliper, so I have less trail time on it, but it has more and smoother power just like the Avid improved the front.

These calipers both weigh an ounce more each than the stock JAK calipers, and worth the weight in gold.

You reused your swivel washers in between the bracket and the caliper? My new caliper didn't come with them and the instructions didn't show it, and it seems to line up perfect height without them.
metalman302

Postby dddd » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 am

metalman302 wrote:You reused your swivel washers in between the bracket and the caliper? My new caliper didn't come with them and the instructions didn't show it, and it seems to line up perfect height without them.

It depends on the adaptor bracket you are using. For the 6" rotor shown, It seemed to need the added height of the swivel washers to keep the pads centered along the working surface of the disc.

I have since changed to an 8" rotor for more bite at the rear brake. It works great, and with the new rotor and adaptor bracket I needed no washers to get the pads centered on the working surface of the disk. I found that the new caliper doesn't seem to be needing the swivel washers for aligning the caliper parallel to the disc, either, which I take as a sign of the frame's (good) precision.
Braking is fantastic now, and just in time because I have a new 2.5" Maxxis Minion downhill tire on there that bites hard on the dirt.
The 2.5" Minion rear tire measures 65mm on my i51mm rim, and the huge WTB Vigilante 2.3" tire on the front wheel actually measures a slightly-larger 67mm wide on the same rim.
The Minion has a gnarlier, taller tread than the Vigilante, so wouldn't fully clear my frame if it were as plump as the Vigilante. I got lucky here.

Looking forward, I am thinking of extending my fork's travel, since the added air volume will offer the possibility of a softer ride without using up all of it's available travel. At almost 500 miles my Epixon fork is still as smooth as it was when new, but I will service it in the near future. I have worn out a rear tire and have just about worn out the chain over this same period of time, riding this bike almost entirely off road.
dddd

Previous

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes