Just ordered my huffy elite tr 745

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: Just ordered my huffy elite tr 745

Postby metalman302 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:19 pm

metalman302 wrote:Can someone recommend me some brake pads that fit the stock brakes? I can't take the squeaking anymore.

Brake pads.... anyone?

Also I can't believe there's youtube reviews galore for the Carnage and Warhawk but nothing for this bike.
metalman302

Postby dddd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm sorry to say that I've given up on quieting my TR745's brakes. They also act grabby.

All this after I bought new pads online, though these were very cheap generic pads.

I tried many different rotors and still have these issues.

Kool Stop actually makes high-quality organic pads for these calipers. They are $20 a pair though, and I haven't tried them.

The stock pads cross-reference to one of the other brands out there, Zoom I think, but be sure to take measurements and to see a picture of the shape of pad you are getting. It must be exact!

I'm going to try a BB7 front caliper that I have here, it has to be better than the stock ones.
dddd

Postby metalman302 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 pm

As tempting as it is to just go on eBay and get a pair of BB7 with rotors for cheap, I think I'll try this first:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesda ... -2011.html
metalman302

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Would a KMC X8.93 be an upgrade or not really make much difference?
metalman302

Postby orvil » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:52 am

Since I don't have the same brakes/bike as you I really can't make a recommendation for a quieter pad. Bear in mind that all brakes are noisy depending on the riding conditions. My disc brakes and linear pull brakes are all very noisy when wet. Also rotor vibration will also contribute to noise. One quick thing you can try is to remove your pads and lightly sand them to remove any "varnishing" that may have occurred when first used. I've had that help before.
orvil

Postby dddd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm

metalman302 wrote:Would a KMC X8.93 be an upgrade or not really make much difference?

I didn't notice any difference from replacing my stock chain, I just wanted a freewheel and chain that I could trust to hold up to hard riding, steep climbs and sudden shifting. The Shimano freewheel made a difference I could notice. Note that I changed the wheels on my bike from a freehub/cassette to a threaded-on freewheel, which by itself seems like a downgrade, but I wanted wider rims so used the wheels off my Hondo.
I would expect the X8.93 chain to be stronger and last longer than the original chain, but the original seems far from the lowest grade of chain found on bbb's, not surprising since the TR-745 is much higher priced.
dddd

Postby dddd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:32 pm

I finally had enough with the weak, screechy, and grabby brake action front and rear, so yesterday I found different calipers for both wheels and installed them.

On the front, I installed a used Avid BB7 caliper that came with a box of used parts that I was given. It set up fine with the usual time spent getting it to grab the rotor without flexing the rotor visibly in any way when the lever was pulled. It seemed to break in quickly with the used pads on my used rotor, the noise was far, far less, the action felt much stronger and smoother as well. So this was quite worthwhile and I can ride the bike over tougher terrain now.

On the rear I installed a Shimano M375 caliper new out of the box, it's about $20 online which is about what a pair of good pads cost!
This caliper uses organic pads which so far are silent! I replaced this caliper after testing the Avid caliper, so I have less trail time on it, but it has more and smoother power just like the Avid improved the front.

These calipers both weigh an ounce more each than the stock JAK calipers, and worth the weight in gold.

dddd

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:58 pm

I've looked at the BR M375 calipers a few times, They use the square-ish B01S pads with the single retainer through the top. I like the way they have the cable wrapped in a radius around to the cable attachment. That alone should make this a really smooth modulating caliper. Most calipers have the open span between the housing anchor and the cable attachment. Seems to me that would distort the rate of pull on the cable as you pull straight through the arc stroke of the caliper. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but ya! I've been considering a set just to see how it changes the overall braking on my Ascension. My local friends almost had me convinced to go hydraulic, and hydraulic is smooth, but reliability has kept me from going for it. I like the idea of a good cable over the chance that a hydraulic line could fail on a bubble or a tiny leak.

Keep us posted on how the pads wear, and the difference in the Shimano and Avid bb7!
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 pm

I took a second ride into the American River Canyon this evening, and some differences became apparent.

The Avid BB7 does have a honk to it, though it's not anywhere near so annoying as the originals. It seems to have more power than the new Shimano BR-M375, though I do have a slightly larger rotor in front. I just may put a 180 rotor in back to ease the lever force. The Shimano caliper with it's organic pads is consistently quiet, just a shh sort of sound is all you hear, and the action feels smooth and consistent compared to the original JAK caliper.
Anyway, it's good knowing that I won't be losing any more of my hearing from riding with the original JAK calipers on the Huffy.

These new calipers with their bigger pads don't seem to require even a cable adjustment after every ride like the original ones did. So far, so good.

Some of these cheap calipers do actually have a short section of spool radius molded into the lever arm, hard to see but it's there on some of them.
Without it, the cable bends more sharply and would seem to have more leverage at the point when the pad hits the disc, which might be needed with poor pads and rotors.

The original JAK pads are just rocks afaik, and the only decent replacements for them are Kool-Stop pads that cost ...just as much as a new Shimano M375 caliper w/pads.
dddd

Postby metalman302 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:06 am

Mine quieted significantly when I cleaned the rotors with brake clean. I still want to do the sanding & rebed procedure and see what happens
metalman302

PreviousNext

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes