Just ordered my huffy elite tr 745

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: Just ordered my huffy elite tr 745

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:34 am

Hate to say it but mtbr forums is one of the reasons people move over to this website.They happen to be the exact opposite of this forum and try to justify outrageous prices instead of looking at the big picture of enjoying biking.This websites forums provided better insight about how to build bikes on the cheap and what exactly was a BBB.The forums were brutal with little if any real world experience with BBBs purchased from Walmart and always told people that asked honest questions to go buy another bike.The joke is on them and other websites like them with the advent of Chinese frames that cost fractions of what the people were touting as acceptable.Now if you look on their website they advertise Alibabas entire frame catalog going by a whole host of different names.I have never participated in their forums and very glad that I haven't.
Purple Haze

Postby Biggin76 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:47 pm

That sucks... I got my frame from U.K. But Made in Taiwan (i think) lol
Biggin76

Postby dddd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:06 pm

There's some diversity of opinion on the MTBR and other popular forums, many posting there have had bbb's, but probably far fewer (like me) ever bought bbb's again after years of riding brand name bikes (I having taken a few years off from off road riding due to a wrist injury, then to some temporary arthritis).

The bbb's aren't for everyone, since they aren't offered with frame size options other than buying a different model.
And perhaps most of the riders on MTBR forums are doing more advanced-trail riding that is realistically beyond the capability of even the bike shop's lower-level bikes. I myself might only be comfortable riding lower-end bikes where and how I do because I raced old motocross bikes many years ago, and because I'm light enough to get good life out of the cheaper wheels/axles and not have to ever change the fork springs.

And of course people with different amounts of "disposable income" will have wildly different opinions as to the value of time vs money, and so may or may not want to spend any time tinkering with bike equipment during whatever amount of spare time is available to them, ...even if they do somehow find time for the forums! ;)

Also, most of the people posting to the forums haven't seen a bike as good as a Huffy TR-745 ever appear in their local WalMart store. I know that I never did, until the bike I ordered online was sent there for pickup. So they are probably thinking bikes like my stock Mongoose Hondo, with all-steel forks and crankarms, freewheel hubs and pressed chainrings, for a weight that they won't want to have to hoist onto their car's rack, and too flimsy to ride downhill on a rougher trail. I myself wouldn't recommend any such bike with even the lower-level Suntour forks to such serious enthusiasts, because these fork's seals just aren't the real deal for longer and harder riding.
And, as it happens, the riders I've seen show up for a scheduled ride with a bbb were often as not riding a badly neglected bike that made the whole thing seem like a bad idea, as I helped them at the last minute with something like a suspension pivot falling out (and hopefully later selling them one of my refurbished bikes, then repairing their old one for their kids).

Bbb's can be great for getting started at low cost, and with potential for upgrade over time as justified by a pattern of actual usage.
But enthusiasts who are past that point will eventually lose sight of where they once were, or have trouble seeing just where someone else is at, when it comes to what kind of bike it is possible to get good use out of.
It's the people that you might only run into once or twice who are more likely to be clueless as to your choice of what to ride, and who might say something derogatory, so I take the patient approach knowing that, over time, they might come to understand my choice, and also to know that I don't in any way begrudge their choice of a high-end bike. I also try to be mindful that when I intercede on their forum conversation about premium tubeless rims for example, that they just will not be expecting to hear that I am building them to put on my Huffy! Give 'em time, and maybe they'll get it.
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:49 am

I know this is off topic dddd,but mtbr forums promote extremist ideas that for all intents and purposes do not go over well with conscientious individuals that have studied the industry and know that what were talking about are frames and the acceptance or unacceptance of frames on the lower end of the spectrum.Walmart sold and continues to sell certain frame types that go above and beyond the price range of any LBS bikes and allows people to enjoy a sport while having preservation of mind that they didn't throw away all their hard earned money on a fad or a sport that can only be enjoyed by a selective few.The xr pro comes to mind when I speak of this subject and craig198s bike is the only one I have ever heard of that had a structural flaw.That bike far exceeded anything offered by any LBS shop or bikes direct for the price and by numerous testimonials on this website or others proved to be a serious alternative to any LBS 29er xc bike.When modded it was worthy of accolades by even the most staunch critics of BBBs.Mtbr shot that bike down because Drabusblue proved you could get in the game of 29er DS xc bikes on the cheap.There are to many examples of this on their forums and their forums participants were almost always stating that all BBBs had warning stickers saying not for trail use.Not only that their forums missed out on the Chinese carbon frames revolution that allowed many enthusiast to actually purchase racing bike spec machines for a whole lot less than brand name manufacturers middle of the road bikes and in many cases even their cheapest bikes.Drabusblue, by the way was one of the first xr pro contibutors on that thread.
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am

I'm not sure that craig198's bike had any flaw, just that it doesn't seem to have been built quite for what he subjected it too. It's not like an enduro bike that would be expected to take the highest loadings for more than one season of riding. It looked in the photo like his seatpost yielded, which is like a designed-in warning system that limits are being exceeded. I don't know, but maybe that warning was ignored in this case.

The point about mtbr I made is that the forum contributors are just a random bunch of people from everywhere and from all walks of life. The focus there tends toward the most popular discussions, which mostly seems to be about the newer stuff as people get up to speed on the newest fads and technology.
Bbb's tend to use slightly older technology, and I would say most bbb riders are less fussy about their bikes, while most mtbr forums participants seem to be more avid enthusiasts, some making thousands of posts. So bbb's aren't going to be the focus there except for that recent thread about 27.5-plus-on-a-budget.

Then there are the mtbr staff writers who write headline articles, and yeah, they don't often consider bbb's worth talking about. Some of their attitude and preference obviously carries over to the forums, since they write the headline articles that often set the tone and spark the forum discussions.
I think mtbr headlined that video where a pro rider used a Huffy DS bike for a black-diamond downhill run, the bike wasn't up to it and bike was scoffed at for serious riding purposes. That kind of presented the conclusion that bbb's are for limited off-road uses only, which is true of most bikes but doesn't mean they are defective.
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 pm

By the way dddd,i love the civility and topic we are discussing because it has a reference to my overall topic of can you participate in this activity with close to equal machinery for a relatively cheap price.My answer is absolutely and my proof is the countless of others that have turned their XR PROs into competent bikes that are just as good as mid priced XC 29ers from a LBS.Mid price in their LBS world is 1500 to 4000 dollars and anything above is full carbon race ready bikes.No disrespect to craig 198 but I have never heard any XR PRO suffer what has happened to his or any other problem that serious in the entire time the bike has been out.I agree with your points of designed stress load but there should be evidence from other owners suffering a similar problem.You tube even has a video of some guy in south America jumping his bike and there were no problems.The guy certainly does not look like some light weight skinny teenager either.My point about all of this including mtbr and the XR pro is that you certainly can do this sport on the cheap and I am one of those people that will say most of those enthusiast are really unaware of what these bikes are capable of doing.I am living proof they can because my own Mongoose Blackcomb which is modded is a very competent machine here in the Alps and goes through terrain that most mountain bikers only dream of with no problems whatsoever.My other bike which was the ultimate xc super light bike a Trek fuel 100 oclv world cup carbon bike, that cost new in 2004 4999 dollars does pretty much the same thing but faster.I believe your own huffy is pretty darn close to being as good as a midranged 27.5 hardtail at a LBS and with a couple more cheap investments can exceed a LBS price point by a substantial margin.
Purple Haze

Postby Armond21 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:40 am

I just picked up a TR745. Wally World has a couple on clearance for $222. I haven't rode in a very long time. My last bike was a Raleigh Mojave. I was looking for something budget that I could upgrade as I go, and this looks like it'll fit the bill. Based on this thread, I'll be upgrading the BB and derailleur hanger directly. I'll post pics and a review as soon as I get it. Thanks and Happy Trails.
Armond21

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:47 pm

This probably isn't something our lil group here will encounter, but looky:
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/huffy-recalls-bicycles-with-front-disc-brakes

I wonder what happened with the TR 740 full suspension 27.5 bike? It looked like a keeper.
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:53 pm

That particular recall applied to a large number of different models and brands of bikes with disc brakes, after a guy riding a Trek with a loose, flopping QR lever was thrown over the bars and paralyzed. No one in the industry saw this coming, the possibility of a flopping lever engaging the "spokes" of the brake rotor and locking the front wheel.

I have bikes with no "tabs" on the fork to retain the wheel if the QR is loose. Older bikes didn't have them, what came to be known as "layer lips" on the fork tips. So I am very careful about tightening my QR lever adjustment nut properly when riding older bikes, and now when riding disc-braked bikes.

The replacement QR levers for bikes with disc brakes have limited lever swing angle, so can not swing into contact with the disc rotor even if ridden while loose. I sure feel bad for that one guy who suffered such a severe injury, and am mindful that any number of situations I have created while riding could have caused the same thing.
dddd

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:59 am

Can someone recommend me some brake pads that fit the stock brakes? I can't take the squeaking anymore.
metalman302

PreviousNext

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes