Scwinn Caliente

Discussions, photos and links to classic bicycles; whether they are your own or not.
Forum rules
Be polite and stay on topic

Scwinn Caliente

Postby valleybiker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. Currently I own two bikes (Diamondback Outlook and Forge M street). My brother in law is now offering me a schwinn caliente. I am not entirely sure what year it is, but I am guessing late 80s to early 90s. The way the bike is right now, it could probably use handlebar tape, brake lever hoods, aluminum wheels, seat stem, seat, and brakes. My brother in law is asking for 40 dollars in exchange. My question is, should I or shouldn't I? How is the price considering what it needs?
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Re: Scwinn Caliente

Postby valleybiker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Well, I already decided to go for it. I will get pics of it on Sunday.

I am already upgrading the brakes. So far, I ordered the Shimano BR R450 Dual Pivot brakes from Bikewagon on ebay.

I am not sure, but I believe current brakes are single pivot.

Does anyone know if dual pivots are a direct bolt on? Or are any modifications needed for the install?
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby to the beach » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:11 pm

As long as they reach the rim length-wise, you should be fine, pads can be combined spacers etc..
to the beach

Postby valleybiker » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I was actually a bit iffy about it even working, but now I feel a bit more confident. I should receive them by Saturday, and will try at it then.
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby valleybiker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:30 pm

I already installed the brakes. The most difficult part was having to drill a hole in the fork and rear of the frame to get the bolt to fit. This weekend I also got to do the seat, bar tape, brake lever hoods, tires, and wheels. It was almost ready to ride, however I messed up the oem freewheel when swapping it to the new rim. Hopefully this Saturday I will install the new freewheel and it should be ready to ride. I will take pics then, and weigh it.
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby valleybiker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:57 am

Today I kind of finished setting up my bike. The only issue I have now is my rear wheel not centering. I will probably send it to the shop next week though. Here are some pics of my nearly finished product.

Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby jellybeandriver » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:57 pm

Does your have indexed shifting and a freewheel in the crank? My Caliente I owned as a teen did.
jellybeandriver

Postby valleybiker » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:16 am

It seems like the crank does not have a freewheel. As for the shifters, I don't really know what indexed shifters are, but the shifters are like two little levers on the middle of the handlebars.
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby valleybiker » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Hello everyone. It has been a while. So far my bike has behaved perfectly. Not even a punctured tire (knock on wood). I am thinking of upgrading my brake levers now though. I want to go for aero levers. My current levers are starting to show just a bit of rust, and feel a bit mushy on the return. Anyways, I know I need the levers and new tape. My question is, can I pull off using the old cables and housing, or will I need new cables and housing?
Mike
-Diamondback Outlook
-Forge M Street
-Schwinn Caliente
-Giant Perigee
valleybiker

Postby BoomerBrian » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:07 am

You could use the old cables but I would upgrade those as well. You can tell a difference between cheap and nice cables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Next

Return to Antique and Classic Bicycles