Fuji SJ-10

Discussions, photos and links to classic bicycles; whether they are your own or not.
Forum rules
Be polite and stay on topic

Re: Fuji SJ-10

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Stem shifters were typically the sign of a cheap bike, fyi. Shifters on the downtube were still what racers used (unless they had moved to the shifters on the drop bar ends). But no real bicyclist wanted a bike with shifters on the stem. I still like downtube shifters on a road bike. Keeps you in position, simple to use and quick to double-shift (change rear and front with the same reach).

I still like the feel of my Campagnolo friction shifters mounted on the downtube.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks WDR! Yeah, I went to the classic fuji catalog website, and it only gave options for a stem shifter. This bike came with everything listed on the catalog, except for that. I'm kinda stuck with the freewheel. Need to special 2 prong removal tool. And the freewheel is rusty, but still capable. Trying to keep this thing cheap, but really want to put a sealed BB and headset on it, so it doesnt need so much maintenance. But between that and the tires/tubes, I would barely make my money back off it. Oh well. Sell or trade will be posted, anyway. For a bigger road bike.
Falkon45

Postby fotofan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:14 am

Falkon45 wrote:Thanks WDR! Yeah, I went to the classic fuji catalog website, and it only gave options for a stem shifter. This bike came with everything listed on the catalog, except for that. I'm kinda stuck with the freewheel. Need to special 2 prong removal tool. And the freewheel is rusty, but still capable. Trying to keep this thing cheap, but really want to put a sealed BB and headset on it, so it doesnt need so much maintenance. But between that and the tires/tubes, I would barely make my money back off it. Oh well. Sell or trade will be posted, anyway. For a bigger road bike.

FYI, removing the lockring on the outside of the freewheel won't take it off, only apart. You can put a flat screwdriver tip into the small holes and tap it with a hammer; should come right off. But if it still works fine, I would just remove the freewheel entirely. You can either buy a freewheel removing tool or else do it like I do. I have an ancient left crank arm; the one end I flattened just enough to where I can hammer it into the freewheel body and then thread it off. A piece of hard, square steel would work too.
Chinese 26" hardtail/SR Suntour XCR 100mm
fotofan

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:02 am

I have a freewheel removal tool, and a cassette removal tool. This one requires a two prong removal tool. (Found a couple on ebay, already). Ive done the punch on the lockrring thing a couple of times. Thats a lot of ball bearings to be chasing to do that with the hub on the wheel. Don't feel like doing it again.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:50 pm

So, did some digging. Picked up a parktools fr-2 for the oldschool suntour. Got tires, tubes, handlebar wrap, and new cables.. need new cable shrouds, though. Not getting new headset and BB so I can recoupe some cost. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby Renaldow » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:40 am

I haven't tried it, but I've read that wadded up aluminum foil works great to get rust off of chrome. Can't scratch it, and removes it all. Supposedly add a little water to help with the rubbing.
Renaldow

Postby desertguns » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:45 am

Krud Kutter rust remover works great. Used it on my 1980s Univega, and lots of other stuff too. 8-)
desertguns

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Well, here she is!

IMG_20131221_184355.jpg

the BB is a sheer PITA! I'm so used to going straight to sealed units, this I've assembled and disassembled this thing 3 times, and still don't have it right. Stupid axle ends arent symmetrical. I never noticed. Lol.

The rear derailleur needs some love, too. It sticks horribly. Also having a hard time setting the rear brake. It rubs the wheel, and I cant dial it out. But, I had the seat sitting around for the xr. It'll serve better on this bike. The handlebar wrap was pretty easy. Doesnt look as neat as I wanted, but not bad for my first try at it. Had some cable shroud sitting around from other projects. And threw my old wellgos on there in place of the originals. I wish this bike was my size. 18 1/2" frame, so 47cm. Might sell it to some of the shorter SCAD students. Hopefully a pretty graphic design girl. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby desertguns » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:58 pm

It's starting to look like a bike! I'll bet some Meguiars car polish would make the paint pop, or at least fizzle.
desertguns

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Lol. I've just wiped it down with a damp shop rag. Spent most of my time on all the aluminum and chrome bits. Went ahead and put a sealed BB on order with sealed crankarm bolts, and some brake hoods.

Not gonna make any money back off this thing, now, lol. No big deal, though. Just happy to keep a good bike on the road.
Falkon45

PreviousNext

Return to Antique and Classic Bicycles