Puch Modded Mixte

Discussions, photos and links to classic bicycles; whether they are your own or not.
Forum rules
Be polite and stay on topic

Puch Modded Mixte

Postby morando6784 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Some of you know that I recently had a Puch Mixte handed to me. Hell with $0 into it and I've been wanting to play with a old bike so I figured I'd get my hands dirty with this. I'm not a road bike guy at all so when I first looked at it I thought it was strange looking, after starring for a while I realized it was the top section from the seat to the wheel that was messing with my eyes. After some google image searching I found some pretty sweet Mixte's people have done. My favorite is the one that have been cut down to a low sleek look. Know I got a plan in my head. Here we go....

First off its been sitting out side for a long time, no reason getting into it if it won't roll. I pulled the axel and cleaned and regressed the hubs on both wheels. Pulled the crank and did the same. Then I went to pull the stem and it wouldn't budge?? Took bolt out the top and nothing. So I YouTube to see if these older bikes stem are different some how and there not. One vide the guy loosened the bolt a bit and hit down with a rubber hammer. So tried that. Still stuck....errrrr. So I started smacking up on it over and over.....nothing. Finally laid it on the rug and stood on the fork and smack it from the side over and over......finally it broke loose. I hit it side to side a couple time then beat it up and out of there, I was sweating my butt off working this thing over. Got the fork out regressed the bearings. Know she is nice and smooth.

I had a couple sets of bars to try and being a mountain guy I went with the flat bars, they alway feel the best to me. Used some fenders off a huffy cruiser bike that was also given to me as we'll. modded to fit and paint match pretty good pin stripes and all. Took one of the brake levers off of rear set up so it look like a regular lever. Stuck a seat post over it and bent it out just a bit also. Put brakes in middle section and flipped them over for the heck of it. O yeah I chopped off the section I said that looked funny to me lol. Might just use a modern 6 speed shifter or do they make a 7 speed free wheel? Cause the one on it I got spinning pretty good again but still pretty rusted up. Will need to get socket to get that off as well. Just need tires, chain, pedels and grips and its Rollin for know. As of know I'm still $0 into it....I pretty happy about that.

(And ya the section I cut off the bike is propping it up lol, it doesn't want to let go)
ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Re: Puch Modded Mixte

Postby Nagant » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 pm

It looks good with the flat bars and fenders. I can't tell what section of what you cut off.
Nagant

Puch Modded Mixte

Postby morando6784 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:18 am

ImageImage

What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Postby Nagant » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Wowa, that is some major cutting.
Nagant

Postby to the beach » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Lowrider mixte...cool! Amazon.com has a huge selection of tires with a wide variety of treads and sidewall appearances. What size were the tires you removed?
to the beach

Puch Modded Mixte

Postby morando6784 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:29 am

Not sure they were so rotted I couldn't read anything. Tubes said 27 1/4 I think. I don't know road stuff very well.

morando6784

Postby to the beach » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 am

Where's this project? any updates?
to the beach

Return to Antique and Classic Bicycles