Anyone know the value of a classic English built bicycle?

Discussions, photos and links to classic bicycles; whether they are your own or not.
Forum rules
Be polite and stay on topic

Anyone know the value of a classic English built bicycle?

Postby to the beach » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:49 pm

I've got my eye on a 1960s vintage Phillips Master Model bicycle. It's really grungy right now, but it has front/rear caliper brakes, 3-speed coaster brake hub, ornate fenders, mustache handlebar. It's all black and white. I really don't know if an English bicycle will sell around here, thus I don't have a buyer in mind yet. I googled it and read that Raleigh had already bought Phillips when this one was made and that the Phillips bikes are the lesser models. Here's some stock photos of one in nice shape:
Attachments
Phillipsmastermodel3.jpg
Phillipsmastermodel3.jpg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Phillipsmastermodel2.jpg
Phillipsmastermodel2.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 680 times
phillipmastermodel1.jpg
phillipmastermodel1.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 680 times
to the beach

Re: Anyone know the value of a classic English built bicycle

Postby Nagant » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:01 pm

It has a great look. I have no idea on the value. You might have to try the Cabe or Rot Rod Bikes to get an estimate on the value.
Nagant

Postby steady eddie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 am

T.T.B.---

Yo do have pictures of a very nice one to go by, on the rebuild. But if you've never "done" one before, the English three speed bicycles, have some quirks built in.. ;) ..

As an aside here, I have rebuilt/restored 3 or 4 of them, and the last one was really bad.
It needed every thing. The one item that stopped me cold was the weirdo crank arm cotter/ key/pin that it sorely needed. Could NOT find one at the time.

Let the builder beware.. :mrgreen: ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:59 am

Lots of these around when I was a kid. I wanted one (all I had was a Hiawatha "cruiser" style SS). It does not have a coaster brake but old-style side-pull brakes. Probably has a way to install a friction generator for lights. There would be a market for it if you could reach the right buyers, I suspect.

As Eddy said, buyer beware on parts.

If you can restore it then it will make a beautiful around-town bike. Depending on where you live there could be tons of people who want them. If you lived where Eddy lives, for instance. :D

Have fun,
Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby to the beach » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for input. The bike I'm looking at isn't missing any parts and there is just surface rust everywhere. I would just clean, detail, and tune the bike up and throw on some tires and tubes. There is enough original paint and decals to identify it, and any paint that's there I can get luster from. The brightwork, it can be cleaned to a respectable level, enough for a buyer to take it on rides and enjoy the vintage vibe without worrying about scratching it or getting it a little wet. Not for a snobby connoiseur to get excited about, just an interesting cruising bike. I think it has a rack too.
to the beach

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:27 pm

It's worth noting that for very old bicycles if you clean them up too much that can actually REDUCE the value; especially if you repaint it completely. Something about the "patina".

Go figure.... :lol:

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby to the beach » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Ya, I didn't know that, I just like the character a patina gives a bike....it's age is more apparent then. If the bike rides and is as reliable as new, I have accomplished my goal. I don't just throw new parts at an old bike, I try as hard as I can to figure out what would make it more comfortable and keep it's new owner interested in continuing to ride it.
to the beach

Return to Antique and Classic Bicycles