1966 Schwinn, another project

Discussions, photos and links to classic bicycles; whether they are your own or not.
Forum rules
Be polite and stay on topic

1966 Schwinn, another project

Postby to the beach » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 am

Picked this one up for $15. I was surprised when I saw original Schwinn tires without any dry rot. It's one speed with just a coaster brake right now. I'm going to change the 46t front sprocket to a 36T for a 25% gear reduction to make it a little more hill friendly. Also adding a front caliper brake, new knobbies, seat, and wicker basket.
Attachments
Sept920131_zps2ed3dc5a.jpg
Sept920131_zps2ed3dc5a.jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Sept920132_zps2d0eccaa.jpg
Sept920132_zps2d0eccaa.jpg (150.73 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Last edited by to the beach on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
to the beach

Re: 1966 Schwinn, another project

Postby Nagant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Someone took excellent care of that bike. Great price. It's next to impossible to find any older bikes for a decent price around my area.
Nagant

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 am

Sweet looking bicycle!

I found three (!) mid-70s bikes with steel double-butted frames for $59 each at the same Goodwill store (in Richland, WA) where I bought my 70s-era Schwinn "market bike". The wife put the kibosh on buying any more bikes though. At least until I get my deck cleared of the ones I'm working on now. LOL.

Trouble is that I'm being worked to death by several clients regardless of the fact that I charge them exorbitant amounts of money for it. No time for bikes between work, the shop, the grand kids, and "honey-do" lists. :P

That is such a great little bike... you might not want to change it much. They are very much in demand!!! If you were in Portland, Oregon you'd get at least $100 for it just as it is.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby to the beach » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:18 am

Ya, the pics look good but it just isn't practical as it sits. There are lots of scratches on the frame and fenders which I'm just going to carefully polish. The rims had surface rust so I dipped them in a chemical bath along with the bars, stem, and crank. Lots of metal polishing by hand. It will go to a lady who wants to just ride in style and comfort, it just wasn't collector material.
Last edited by to the beach on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
to the beach

Postby steady eddie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 am

to the beach wrote:Ya, the pics look good but it just isn't practical as it sits. There are lots of scratches on the frame and fenders which I'm just going to carefully polish. The rims had surface rust so I dipped them in a chemical bath along with the bars, stem, and crank. Lots of metal polishing by hand. It will go to a lady who wants to just ride in style and comfort, it just wasn't collector material.

===
T.T.B.---

Define "collector material" for me... :D ...

This bike, as pictured, is worth whatever the market will bear. WDR was way off in his estimate of what this bike would be worth in Portland, Oregon.

The dings and scratches are, as they say, a part of the natural aging process, and are to be expected..around here, this bike's rare front (Original Equipment) rack alone is worth what you paid for the entire bike..<<hint: Check on eBay...a great find, good job... 8-) ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby to the beach » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks Eddie,

I've got the bike all tuned up now and did the gear swap and front brake installation. I installed a modern, vintage-looking seat today too, it's much more comfortable now. I also added a basket which I've stained to match the seat and grips. I'm just waiting on new handgrips, pedals and a set of reflectors. I guess I could include the original parts with the sale of the bike, if that's important to the buyer. This Breeze model is a base model bike in the 1966 Schwinn catalog. The only option it had was fenders. Other options available for the Breeze were 2 or 3 speed hubs, caliper brakes, and a host of Schwinn approved accessories.

As for the front rack, it wasn't a Schwinn approved accessory, so it wasn't important for it to stay with the bike. Interesting that it was manufactured about 50 miles from where I live and as for EBAY, I have the rack listed there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181213967700?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
to the beach

Postby Renaldow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:11 pm

steady eddie wrote:This bike, as pictured, is worth whatever the market will bear. WDR was way off in his estimate of what this bike would be worth in Portland, Oregon.

How so? Are you in Portland? Just curious because I am, and follow CL semi-regularly on prices, and am considering trying to flip a couple bikes just for fun. Without any kind of closeup pics, I'd expect that bike to be about $80-120 on CL as is, more if refurbed. So, not criticizing your statement, just trying to dig deeper on it.
Renaldow

Postby to the beach » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Here's one that looks like maybe 1980:

http://nh.craigslist.org/bid/4063049693.html
to the beach

Postby desertguns » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:15 pm

If the paint is original & it has Schwinn tires, $150 - $200 in Phoenix, on the right day. There was a ratty Czech Schwinn at a Goodwill I watched for about a month. Original paint, seat & tires, no rust. Had $250 tag on it & they wouldn't budge. Finally sold it. I was a little shocked but someone was willing to wait & it paid off.
desertguns

Postby to the beach » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:52 pm

I've kept an eye on EBAY for a while now. Lots of old Schwinns with really high prices that go unsold and a lot of them without a single bid. A new Schwinn is more comfortable than most of the old ones with the evoltution of saddles, platform pedals, more gear range, tire design, etc. so I'm incorporating those features into a vintage bike to be repurposed. I like museum bikes too but there is only so much room in the museums and there are so many more "vintage" bikes that everyone can enjoy and ride as their own. A survivor usually needs to be rare and at least in demand to command high value and the Schwinn Breeze is so very common if you look in the right places.

I'm going to price this bike right at $165 and will offer to include the original Schwinn take-off parts to potential buyers. I'll have well over $100 invested in it when I'm finished and will probably have 30 hours into it, if you include the time I took to pick it up, shop for parts, clean it, tune it up, detail it, and install new parts. It's just a hobby, no bike shop could afford to do what I do without slapping on a sky high pricetag.
to the beach

Next

Return to Antique and Classic Bicycles