Mongoose Hitch video series

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Mongoose Hitch video series

Postby Highspeedgt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Hey guys. I'm at it again. This time I'm doing a "mini-series" on the Mongoose hitch fat bike and what needs to be done to it when new to make it a great ride. Hope you enjoy. Let me know if you have anything you'd like to see, or any suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPk9zITyzDE&list=PLpsi5ocfMR2WkozXBYgpYWJhvJh3oH6oS
Highspeedgt

Re: Mongoose Hitch video series

Postby desertguns » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:40 pm

First, for anyone reading this then watching the video, you don't need to do any upgrades - save one - this to have a very decent bike. You already bought it.

The video should read "How to spend $250 on your $200 Hitch & sort of turn it into a single track bike, but not quite". Not that I disagree with your upgrades, although you overlooked 2 obvious components initially, but 90% of the people buying this bike will not be beating the crap out of it like you did - to the point of bending the stock steel bars - under condition it was never intended for. This video is for the other 10%, or whatever the heck it is, that want a fat single track bike on a "budget" - a relative term in this context. In fact, in your first Hitch video, "Mongoose Fat bike: Review and Upgrades" you flat out say, "It's not a decent bike" at least not for a "serous" rider. Now on what 4 letter forum have I seen that rhetoric???

The one item on this bike that can't be worked/reworked into something better is the shifter. It would be more useful, IMHO, to show people who are on their original budget of $213.00 (or less on sale) how to stay within that budget. Yes that include some disassembly & greasing which goes for any budget bike. That's what we do here in addition to modifying, if we chose to do so. But it's not a prerequisite to having fun or riding this bike in challenging conditions.

The video is great in the proper context & nicely produced. However, posting the series here will leave most people that own the bike thinking they got ripped off & need to spend a bunch of money to fix it.. There's more basic useful information regarding initial disassembly & prep in tomcat & bruce's Malus threads (same bike) than can be gleaned from your series.
desertguns

Postby Highspeedgt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 am

@desertguns I'm sorry if the information in my video(s) got misconstrued. In the mini series about the Mongoose, I'm simply covering standard practices that should be performed when the bike is new. Disassembly, cleaning, greasing the headset, bottom bracket, hubs, etc. I offer information about potential upgrades, however never say they are a requirement, merely an option. I personally have seen several threads and comments covering what can be upgraded, but minimal suggestions as to what parts to use (shy of the YST bottom bracket and MegaRange). I'm offering inexpensive options that will outperform the stock components (especially once they've been ridden a while, or after they're worn out). In my review of the bike, I do believe I justify each reason for each upgrade. In addition to these steps, I'm offering an inexpensive way to make a paint booth to paint the bike, but this too is on a budget (under $15).

As far as myself, yes I am going through and upgrading my bike, and yes I'll have invested more than $250 above the initial price, but I'll have a fatbike that performs about as well as any $1000 fat bike on the market. I still consider it budget friendly when I've invested $500 compared to $1000+ bikes that perform about the same...

I hope I didn't put anyone off... particularly because I do love this bike and have been riding it for a very long time. I'm surely no bike snob... the most expensive bike I have was $400, and I ride the snot out of it.

I've upgraded broken/poor working components at I've gone, but have been riding singletrack with it since day 1 (literally directly after unboxing it). It's held up, but there are components on this bike that are flat out dangerous when new, particularly the brakes and grip shifter. This bike is capable, and just like any bike, with the right components for the job, it will perform.

I have to say that I'm a bit confused by this post however, particularly because I've read several of your personal threads about all of the upgrades you've done/you're doing to your Dolomite (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2994&start=200).
Highspeedgt

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am

I don't wanna get into a whole thing with you. The vid does say the user needs upgrade the components. It does come across as mandates. You say again here the shifter & brake levers are dangerous. Youtube videos are made for an ADD culture. I get that. It's about likes & hits as much as content. You don't show using a 4' breaker bar to get the original bottom bracket off,in fact you're using a BB that only resembles the original in fact it has bearings. But I'm not gonna do a point by point critique of every video. You've also redefined a budget bike to be $500. By your logic, if my budget is $1000 & I stay within that budget, I have a budget bike, yes?

The shifter is an annoyance, yes, as was the one on the Dolomite & pretty much every Pacific cycle since 2014. They are not dangerous. The brake levers - I'm putting the stock lever back on my Hitch this morning. I'm only running the rear disk so it will get used hard. When/if it breaks we'll find out under what conditions & if it's dangerous. No, my Hitch won't be doing single track but it will be used nearly every day in open desert up to 25 mph or so.

As far as the Dolomite thread, or Deception or others, it's about choice. About what you want a bike to be. Same with the others that posted there as well. Not about, the bike's a piece of crap & here's what you better do.

These 2 post from the Dolomite thread sum up the difference between your video & most threads on this board-

Not sure yet what I want this bike to be. Regardless of geometry, it's still a 50 ish pound bike. I took out the Deception for a quick ride this AM too. The difference is night & day. Granted, only the frame is stock & I've had over three years to transform it to my requirements. No matter what you do to a Dolomite, a good 26er or 29er will blow it away on standard bike trails. Just saying, don't get one of these for the wrong reasons or you'll be disappointed.

Still sorting out cockpit issues but have ordered TX75 derailleur, KMC Z51 chain, 14-34 Mega freewheel, new brakes /w rotors (rotors are particularly bad on this bike), Twisted platform pedals, Acera trigger shifter & cables. These items are not all bad on the bike as received. Just making it my own & closer to what I'm used to on the Deception.

Apart from this context, your videos are useful. Although I'd dump the cliche, volume pumped, hard rock overlays :P
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 am

Also, thanks for giving me the inspiration for this post on another board - http://budgetbicycleboards.freeforums.n ... ious-rider
desertguns

Postby Highspeedgt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 am

Alright dude. I get it. You can advocate your thing, I'll advocate mine. I knew people would take things out of context, just didn't think they'd go from me loving the bike to hating every aspect of it... You're clearly passionate about this stuff, but there's nothing on a mongoose that says "don't ride it on a single track", "don't use it as a mountain bike", "only use in a gentle manner on pavement". I have never stated that you cannot ride this bike out of the box with no changes. I made it clear that my personal opinion was that parts need changing.

Don't forget the mission of this forum "support for those who ride BigBox Bicycles including WalMart and Target You don't HAVE to spend $1000 to enjoy bicycling!" The $1000 max target is set on the top of every single page here.
Highspeedgt

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:57 am

Highspeedgt wrote:You don't HAVE to spend $1000 to enjoy bicycling!" The $1000 max target is set on the top of every single page here.

I believe, dude, that clearly you're the one that doesn't get "it". Talk about taking something out of context. It's not a target. Forum text lack nuance but don't know how you jumped to that conclusion. Like you said, you don't get it. Fair enough.
desertguns

Postby Highspeedgt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for your input. I'll keep it in consideration for future videos.

For any others reading this, I would sincerely like to say that I absolutely love this Mongoose. I may have had some bad luck with it, but some parts did not work out of the box, and some parts broke early on. I do ride hard, but I'm not someone that buys into the "you cannot ride a cheap bike" mentality. In fact, I have videos up that poke fun at those people.

I'm sorry this took the turn that it did, and truly my intentions are to help people make an educated decision, but also provide easy access to information that will help to keep your bike running great (no matter what parts are on it). Whether you're on a 30 year old bike, or a new $2000 bike, I'm just happy to see people out riding.
Highspeedgt

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Ok, we're not quite done here & this is a very important point for readers to absorb, particularly novices, although I thought it was common knowledge around here -

Highspeedgt wrote:but there's nothing on a mongoose that says "don't ride it on a single track", "don't use it as a mountain bike", "only use in a gentle manner on pavement"

In fact it does. Twice.

"LIMITED WARRANTY AND POLICY ON REPLACEMENT PROCEDURES & RESPONSIBILITIES
...Competition, jumping, downhill racing, trick riding, trial riding, riding in severe conditions or climates, riding with heavy loads or any other non-standard use can substantially shorten the useful product life cycle. Any one or a combination of these conditions may result in an unpredictable failure that is not covered by this warranty."

And,
" CONDITIONS OF WARRANTY
1. Your bicycle has been designed for general transportation and recreational use, but has not been designed to withstand abuse associated with stunting and jumping. This warranty ceases when you rent, sell, or give away the bicycle, ride with more than one person, or use the bicycle for stunting or jumping.
2. This warranty does not cover ordinary wear and tear or anything you break accidentally or deliberately.
http://www.mongoose.com/media/wysiwyg/O ... ain_OM.pdf
desertguns

Postby Highspeedgt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Are we still going on about this old thing?

I tell you what. Here's the contact information for Mongoose warranty support:
Phone:
(800) 626-2811
Monday - Friday
8am to 5pm (Central Standard Time)

Mail:
Pacific Cycle, Inc
PO Box 344
Olney, IL 62450

Please feel free to contact them and let them know that I'm replacing the stock components on my bike with other components. Please also let them know that I took full responsibility for damages to my personal bike that's already beyond the warranty coverage period on a video platform with billions of viewers, and that I plan to repair the bike myself and not contact them for warranty support. Don't forget to mention to them the modifications to your bike though, because I'm sure the Mongoose police will be interested in black listing you from their warranty coverage too!

You've made it abundantly clear that the attempt of stifling someone (even at the cost of buffoonery, and hypocrisy) who is trying to do something fun, entertaining, and informative is very important to you.

Sorry I tried to play in your sandbox. I promise I didn't knock down your sand castle though...
Highspeedgt

Next

Return to Fat Bikes