Mongoose Hitch video series

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Hitch video series

Postby Highspeedgt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:32 pm

P.s. Thanks for confirming that there's nothing that states: "don't ride it on a single track", "don't use it as a mountain bike", "only use in a gentle manner on pavement". The other information was very helpful, but I'm glad to know none of the exact words above were outlined... I would've felt silly if they were. :D
Highspeedgt

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Thank you Dr Von Ego. I'll just go to my room & sulk now. :P
desertguns

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Good Lawdy DG..
Don't run him off already! You and I have a few dollars in our Mongoose fatties too!
High Speed is just building his own version of a bike we have also built on. He might have chosen a few words that look condescending, but the reality is, he's purpose building his bike. .. just like we did..
Along the way, we've found the weak spots and our buddy Bruce has found a freewheel issue in his build too.. But here at BBB, we find a way to improve. High speed is improving his Hitch in his own way. I'll guarantee you he's just like us, with friends who question his budget bike.. I agree, these bikes are fun straight out of the box, but bottom brackets and stock brake levers can be among the first things that need replacing. And that no name twist shifter is crap. We all know it, and High Speed made that one of his first mods.

What if, people see his video, and change the shifter, and have a bike that lasts as long as they want it?

It's still a Hitch, Malus, Dolomite.. heavy steel framed fatbike. Let's see what he makes out of his :geek:
Tomcat65

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:35 pm

10-4, Tom. There's only one guy I'd like to run off & it ain't him. Besides, HSGT doesn't seem particularly shy. :P
desertguns

Postby Highspeedgt » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 am

Haha, yeah. Definitely not a shy guy. I also get where you are coming from. It's true that I'm taking this bike to extremes, but I like this particular bike and want to keep riding it.

The bike is back together. Still need to adjust derailleur and brakes, but I did post a new video covering the extensive changes I made to my hitch, and associated costs. I think many will be surprised about how far I got while still staying under a $500 budget (including the price of the bike). I'll probably surpass that budget once I get the derailleur, but not by much.

I'm excited about this, particularly because I like riding this bike, and the fact that even if I damage a major component (fork/frame/wheel/etc) I can get a complete replacement bike for less than the price of a "high end" fork, or a set of fat bike wheels!

https://youtu.be/FkEwOaYAq5M
Highspeedgt

Previous

Return to Fat Bikes