Mongoose Malus

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Mongoose Malus

Postby Bruce » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:33 pm

I couldn't stand it. Fedex and USPS are holding my bike tool kit in limbo and not due to deliver it until Monday. So I checked out the hubs and crank and everything rotated smoothly and without play, so I decided to slap it together and take it for a quick spin.

First impression: Awesome! It rides smoothly over my gravel lane, hay fields, and yard. It's exactly what I hoped it would be. It feels like I can ride over anything like I do with my motorcycle rather than feel like I'm going to get spit over the bars like on my current Trek mountain bike. Also doesn't have that vibrating jackhammer ride that's hard on my hands and privates like my Trek.

Weight: Not an issue for my type of riding. I was really surprised at how easy it was to keep going.

Issues to fix sooner rather than later: Gearing and shifting.

I'm going to stay off it for now until I get my tools and get everything lubed and adjusted correctly.

Bruce

Re: Mongoose Malus

Postby desertguns » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:22 pm

We knew you wouldn't wait ;) Another happy Convert. Yeah, that twister wants to snap back on it's own. A little graphite down the cable housings does wonders for shifter & brakes. My stationary disk pads needed to be adjusted into the rotor a bit more too. The rear wasn't even making contact.
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Yep, just like a kid at Christmas, I couldn't wait. :lol:

Thanks for the graphite tip.
Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Tonight I started the clean and lube process. I disassembled the front hub and noticed some black debris in the grease. After I got all the parts clean I saw that it was paint from the bearing cup. Yea, I know it's a $200 bike, but how do you OCD types handle this? Strip the rest of the paint? Ride it for a while and then lube/adjust again? It sure doesn't feel very smooth. It does turn freely with no play.

I know, just ride it. :lol:
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Bruce wrote:I know, just ride it. :lol:

Pretty much :P I wouldn't worry too much about some paint specs. Metal shavings are a different story. The problem with some of these stock bearings is not all the balls are actually round/spherical. Some are faceted & have flat spots. Probably even worse on the bottom bracket & that's generally where metal shaving are if you're going to find any.. Yeah, with time they do become seated in the cone or race & it does smooth out. Run it what feels a tad tight & adjust it again after some miles. Or, replace every bearing on the bike. :shock:
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Finished it tonight. I found several pieces of swarf in the bottom bracket and head bearings. It was definitely worth my time to tear it down and put it back together properly.

Now everything is clean, lubed, properly adjusted, and works like it is supposed to.

The End. ;)
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 pm

You didn't happen to take any pics of the scrap metal bits did you? Those are always fun. There's some big closeups of the BB, sort of round bearing balls, & spindle in my Beast thread if anyone reading this wonders what we're talking about. It's like a 100mm X 147mm BB & you could beat a hyena to death with that spindle.
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:55 pm

desertguns wrote:You didn't happen to take any pics of the scrap metal bits did you? Those are always fun.

Yes, I did. Glad I didn't keep riding it.

Bruce

Postby desertguns » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Yikes! I like big box bikes but they're even better if you know how to correct the few weak spots before the first ride.
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:07 pm

I took the crankset off my Trek 950 Singletrack, ground the teeth off the outer gear, and installed it on the Malus. I lost 13 oz and gained another sprocket. With the lowest gear I'm able to ride up a hill in my yard that rises 8 feet in the space of 25 feet. Without standing on the pedals or struggling to pedal. :D

I still have plenty of chain clearance.

I also installed the good saddle and aluminum seatpost from the Trek 950. I found a piece of aluminum tubing that I had to drive on the seat post and fits snugly in the Malus frame. Yea, it's ugly, but I didn't have to spend any money and wait for a delivery. Unfortunately I gained 3 oz with the new seat and post.

I rode it some with these changes and really, really like the fat tires. I'm going all in now with a good derailer both front and rear. And I need some fresh sprockets.

First, I have to fix the free hub. It keeps sticking and throwing the chain. :x Any advice?
Bruce

Next

Return to Fat Bikes