Mongoose Malus

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Malus

Postby desertguns » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Didnt get to my freewheel last weekend but will still post pics when I do. Will be changing the Hitch freewheel (now on Dolomite for good) to Sunrace 34T. The Shimano Mega is 3 yrs old so Im gonna pull it off the old Dolo wheel as well. Think I bent the axle too.But now I just gotta see where the thread marks are tho :geek:
desertguns

Postby dddd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Bruce, thanks, that spacer fix might be what I need after a while, since my freewheel has crept slowly toward the spokes sort of cutting down the meager shoulder on the steel hub as it goes.

No problem yet, but my spokes are nearly vertical already because of the fat rim with the spokes spaced far apart left and right out at the rim. At some point the derailer will be hitting the spokes more often that it does already, so the spacer might come to the rescue when that happens.
dddd

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 pm

dddd wrote:Bruce, thanks, that spacer fix might be what I need after a while, since my freewheel has crept slowly toward the spokes sort of cutting down the meager shoulder on the steel hub as it goes.

No problem yet, but my spokes are nearly vertical already because of the fat rim with the spokes spaced far apart left and right out at the rim. At some point the derailer will be hitting the spokes more often that it does already, so the spacer might come to the rescue when that happens.

Glad I could help. I have a couple of hours riding on it now with no more chain problems.

I just don't understand the engineering behind having the threads bottom and the freewheel extending unsupported like that. I'd like to see how high-quality parts mate. Guess I should take my Trek 950 apart.
Bruce

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:46 pm

I robbed the bars off my Trek and bought an adjustable stem from Amazon for $16.08. I modified the stem for more height. The stem was thinner than stock so i had to turn a spacer out of aluminum to get it all to work.

The bars weighed less and the stem more than the original components so I came out about the same.

But it's much more comfortable.

Last edited by Bruce on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 pm

That's the ticket! 8-) 8-) The silver is a great match on that bike too.
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:52 pm

desertguns wrote:That's the ticket! 8-) 8-) The silver is a great match on that bike too.

Thanks, I originally wanted the red Hitch, but the silver is really growing on me.

Now I have to put some fenders on it. I get mud polka dots every time I ride it now. :lol:
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah there's fenders now & I should look too.

OK, back to the freewheel issue. I looked at a 6 speed Huffy Avenue, stock 7 speed off the Deception, the 8 speed Sunrace briefly worn on the Dolomite & stock 7 speed off the Dolomite & the stock 7 speed from the new Hitch. There's one thing they all have in common. There are more threads on the freewheel, than on the hub. And since they can't be screwed on past the last thread on the hub, none of them ever had the crown of the hub seated against the inside shoulder of the freewheel. The 6 speed was close but still had a gap of 1 or 2 threads. Why? The only reason I come up with is this allows a standardized freewheel to fit any hub, with the chainline of the individual bike determined by the axle width & thread count on the hub. More threads puts the chainline closer to the wheel, less puts it farther away. Now, whether you've got a single or triple up front, and/or wider or narrow dropouts in the back, you thread the hub for the application. Makes sense from a production standpoint so any freewheel mates to anything - at least with Chinese bikes from the last decade or so. That's my theory anyway. :geek:
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks for checking those parts. I'll bet you're right - they are built for manufacturing ease/cost and not for the best possible engineering.

Take a look at this area of the threads from the defective freewheel. I'll bet they cause some uneven stress that caused the freewheel to bind.

I'm keeping my spacer and letting the freewheel seat against the end of the hub. If it breaks, I'll post the results.

Bruce

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Looks like Chu Ling had to take a leak when that one passed the inspection line. Inspection...what am I saying :roll:
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:09 pm

I made another improvement to the Malus today. The one thing I didn't like is the width of the pedals and the shape of the arms. I keep hitting my heels and would like to have the pedals closer together.

So I took a big hammer and re-shaped the pedal arms. Now I only have about 1/8" clearance between the chainstays and pedal arms, less distance between the pedals, and my heels don't hit.

Man, I really like this bike.

Left is the original and right is the modified.

Bruce

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes