Mongoose Malus

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Malus

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Check for cracks on the inner housing, if the threads aren't long enough to shoulder the freewheel, it might have reached the end of the threads and spread the housing apart.
Tomcat65

Postby Bruce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:Check for cracks on the inner housing, if the threads aren't long enough to shoulder the freewheel, it might have reached the end of the threads and spread the housing apart.

I couldn't see any cracks, but I wonder if it's putting some sideways force on the freewheel and causing it to bind. In any event, these parts don't mate and one of them is out of spec or the wrong part.

I was going to take a file and reduce the wheel hub diameter behind the threads to slightly less than the minor thread diameter so the freewheel would thread down all the way, but that would have put the largest sprocket inside of the tire edge.

So instead I turned a .095" spacer out of 6061 Aluminum. The freewheel now seats firmly on the freewheel shoulder/spacer/wheel hub joint instead of bottoming out on the threads.

The freewheel now works perfectly, but I only rode for about 10 minutes in my yard and lane.

The next time one of you guys have your freewheel off I'd really like to see the threads on the hub and how far it's threaded.

Bruce

Postby desertguns » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 pm

It's new. Mongoose/Pacific cycle is known to send entire wheels out on warranty. They usually don't want the defective part back either. I'd sure give it a shot even if its working now.
I'll post pics of mine this weekend.
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Good point. It's defective and who knows how long my fix will work, or if it will cause some other problem down the road.

I sent them an email with the pics and details. I'll report back with their response.
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Good plan. Just never show or tell them about any fixes or modifications you've done if you can help it. Dont wanna void anything. Also dont need that thing locking up & throwing you under a bus. Thats also why they're good about parts.
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Yep, I didn't say a word about my temporary fix. I just showed them their defective parts and told about how it throws the chain. In this case I'm glad I rode it before tearing it down for setup and lube, because it threw the chain within the first 100 yards right out of the box. I just figured the derailer needed adjusting, but now I know it was delivered defective.
Bruce

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Pacific Cycles agreed that there is a defect with the threaded area(s). They are sending a new rim and freewheel.

Excellent service from Pacific Cycles. :!:
Bruce

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Woo-Hoo!
Yay for warranty!
Tomcat65

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:Woo-Hoo!
Yay for warranty!

Yep!
I can't wait to take that new wheel apart and have a look. :lol:
Bruce

Postby Bruce » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:49 pm

The new parts arrived yesterday. I regreased the hub tonight and put it all together and it works fine. I haven't ridden it yet, but tightened it up as tight as I could using a chain whip. I need to change the tire, so it will be a while before I get around to putting it on the bike.

The rim threaded area was a little longer and had a relief area behind it, but I still think it's not quite seating on the freewheel shoulder. I just don't understand why it's engineered that way. But what I have works, so I'm time to ride it and start making upgrades.
Bruce

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes