Mongoose Malus

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Malus

Postby desertguns » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Innovation makes these even more fun. Nice! 22T/36T up front?

Not to pick nits but, unless you changed the wheel/hub it's a freewheel, not a free hub. You can google the difference or http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html
We all wish these came with free hubs :cry:

How's the chainline & does it lock up in all gears or just certain combos front & rear?

On the other hand, it's a good excuse to get a 34T freewheel ($15) & tow a boat while you climb the hill ;)
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:09 pm

desertguns wrote:Innovation makes these even more fun. Nice! 22T/36T up front?

Not to pick nits but, unless you changed the wheel/hub it's a freewheel, not a free hub. You can google the difference or http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html
We all wish these came with free hubs :cry:

How's the chainline & does it lock up in all gears or just certain combos front & rear?

On the other hand, it's a good excuse to get a 34T freewheel ($15) & tow a boat while you climb the hill ;)

22/32 up front.

Thanks for catching my error. I know the difference but just typed the wrong thing.

I've had the freewheel off a couple of times. It's okay when I put it back together, but after riding it a little the freewheel tightens up and then starts to drag and allow slack in the chain. It happens in any gear. I looked and looked and can't see any evidence of anything rubbing. The hub isn't threaded far enough for the freewheel to seat on the internal shoulder.

I'm sure I'd be better off to go with an 8 gear freewheel like Tomcat did, but I want to figure this out first.
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Bad thought here - any chance it's cross-threaded? Like, it didn't do this before you took off the freewheel, now it does so whatever it is I'd backtrack from there. But I have no clue apart from the bad thought. I will go look at a new freewheel for ideas tho.

...Just looked & even if cross threaded the only thing I see that could cause seizing is if the big cog was hitting - something, which would be obvious so it has to be an internal problem with the freewheel. Maybe back to Sheldon Brown after all
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:00 pm

No chance of cross threading. I've had it on and off a few times. I'm new to bikes, but I'm mechanically experienced.

Take a look at this:

Thread depth in freewheel is .430"

Thread depth on hub is ~.375"

From the bright aluminum ring on the hub it appears to be seating there. It seems odd to me that the parts wouldn't mate on the end of the hub and the flat shoulder in the freewheel. Should there be a spacer/washer in there? I don't remember seeing one and I looked all over my bench and floor in case I dropped it out of the freewheel unnoticed. I can turn one on my lathe if need be, but the end of the hub and freewheel shoulder so no signs of ever being in contact with each other.
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:55 pm

I don't see evidence a spacer was ever in there. Don't see that making a difference though Those freewheels go on every axle & hub width Pacific makes. thousands. the freewheel is standardized - it goes on whatever 7 speed they want. Can you spin it by hand OK off the hub? These are mass produced so a defective one is not totally uncommon when you consider how many bikes that same freewheel is on. I wouldn't lose sleep over it ( yeah it would bug me too). When you get the new one dissect that one & do an autopsy.
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:09 pm

It spins off fine. It takes about a half of a turn to break it loose and then it works fine and spins off easily by hand.

I'd still like to know how these parts are suppose to mate. If the hub is not threaded far enough then any replacement freewheel may not work either. It sure doesn't seem right that these parts would mate like that.

Thanks for your help!
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Send a PM to Tomcat. He had his apart not long ago. He'd be happy to help. I won't be tearing mine down till next weekend but will post pics as well.
desertguns

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Sounds to me like something in the freewheel body. Maybe one of the tiny springs (if those Falcon freewheels have those springs) that push the pawls out into the ratcheting mech.
The bearings and spacers are delicately thin inside a freewheel, it might be something dropping in and out of the pawl spacing, and 1/4 to 1/2 turn would explain that perfectly. A disassembly requires the 2 pin nut to be removed, I think it was reverse threaded. from there, it's all a matter of not losing the tiny ball bearings.

I had a 9 speed DNP 11-34 freewheel that I really liked, but one of the pawls broke and turned over in it's space, nearly destroyed the circular spring that holds the pawls in place. Chunks of the broken pawl scattered through the housing. Pictures of the carnage here:
http://www.bigboxbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3401#p39159
At this point, believe it or not, it was not salvageable. I tried to reassemble it, with or without the pawl, it was wasted, dragging and sticky from the close tolerances being scarred and rubbing together inside the housing. Replacement was my only option.
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Oh, and it tightens down to the shoulder inside the freewheel body.. If you put a spacer in, it could possibly contact the moving part of the freewheel or the back of the cogs. The space behind doesn't matter like you'd think it would.
Tomcat65

Postby Bruce » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks. I had that two-pin nut loose, but chickened out when I saw all those small balls. It is reverse threaded.

Tomcat65 wrote:Oh, and it tightens down to the shoulder inside the freewheel body.. I

That's what I figured. Mine doesn't come close to the shoulder. With the freewheel tight I still have about .050" clearance.
Bruce

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes